Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

shake the tree

drewgh20

quote:

Sorry but I gotta wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. If companies had that mentality,

Normally, I would wholeheartedly disagree as well and I understand the point that you are trying to make.

Maybe I should have been more clear since asking for anything to be "perfect" is unrealistic. Right now, I would settle for an install of Mastercam that works as well as the three other cad / cam systems that I am currently using. Notice that the key word there is settle. How sad is that.

If I were to turn out parts every day that had the same type of quality I would have been fired a long time ago.

I was as happy as a clam with X4MU1 until a couple of week ago when for some reason it decided to start a crash fest while trying to transform operations. I lost four hours of work trying to find a solution to the problem. Then the very next day another crash fest started while trying to import a fairly large iges file. In that same week I had a file crash 5 times in a row due to some instability in the operations manager.

Our shop is falling in to the same rut as some of the others that I have seen posting on here recently and stating that they are close to switching to another system.

The owner of my company see's these issues first hand. He sits next to me and watches Mastercam crash while doing things that should be simple tasks. He dropped maintenance right after X2 came out because of the issues that our other programmer was having with it (I was still using Cimatron at that time). I was the one that talked him in to picking maintenance back up and explained to him how important it was to stay current. Now he is questioning his decision.

Apparently a seat of Esprit is coming with our new machine and he wants me to learn how to use it. If it works as it is supposed to and it creates efficient tool path it wouldnt surprise me if he makes the change. My opinion is becoming insignificant at this point.

quote:

Ok, so you didn't say perfcect, you said "properly". X4 MU1 works "properly" for me. So who is the measuring stick for "proper"?

Good question. To me, properly means that you dont have to find work arounds for things that do not work as they should. While using work arounds to make up for deficiencies may be working properly for some, it is not for me and apparently not for the fat man that pays the bills in our shop. Anything that requires a workaround is not a properly working system. Maybe some just have lower expectations than others. The owner of this company is by no means rich and paying what he did for the system up front and then continuing to pay what he pays for maintenance every year gives him a certain level of expectation.

Now back on topic, I really like your idea for the new layout tree. I dont care much for the new layout either. biggrin.gif

[ 11-23-2009, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Neurosis ]

I am getting adjusted to tree layout, but I believe it could be improved.

Some problems that have come up in the new layout that should be fixed in X4 are.

1.Contour tool path will not use the tools step over. Bug 00063632.

2.Helix bore feedrate at final depth is not working. Bug 00063636.

3.Not tree related X-form of solids from Pro-e not working without doing a Regenerate display list first.

They worked in previous versions of X. I think that we should not loose functions in new versions we should gain. That is why we pay for maintenance. I know they are more bugs than this in X4.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The current tree layout reeks to me like back in the V7.2c days when "they" put "Solid" on the main menu. cuckoo.gif Looking back, I believe that was when marketing took over the reigns for product development. You don't "Solid". You create a Solid. WTF??? cuckoo.gif And it's still there. rolleyes.gif Even though you can create solids form the solids tab in the ops manager. Gotta display it prominently because heaven forbid somebody does not see the word "solid" then they will think Mastercam does not have the capability.

Just hoping the right people start making the decisions again BEFORE it's tool late.