Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

18-18 Stainless ?

c-hook

Are any of you fellas familiar with machining 18-18. I've never worked with this in my experience, just wondering what sort of feeds/speeds are required for this material. So far it seems pretty tough. We are using various grades and geometry of carbide inserts, and so far nothing has held up too well. Thoughts..................?

Thanks for any input.

18-8 is, I believe, 304

Are you turning, milling?

304 machines, in general, like sh!t when compared to most non-exotic materials

If you're turning, I'd suggest starting in the 300SFM range with a good coated carbide insert; moderate depth of cut with a feedrate on the heavy side will keep the heat down and aid in chipbreaking. We run Sandvik here, so I use an MM or MF chipbreaker in a 2015 grade insert for rough and semi-finish turning.

Finish turning should be done with cermet inserts to get reasonable tool life, IMO. We use an MF or UF chipbreaker in a 5015 or 525 grade insert for finish turning.

18-18 (18% chromium, 18% nickel) is a little tougher than 316sst (18% chromium, 12% nickel). The extra nickel will make the material more heat resistant and generally tougher to machine. You should be able to run at 70-80% of what you would run 316sst. Keep a good flood on the cutters and if your drilling with hss/cobalt peck very frequently to minimize the heat buildup.

quote:

came to us as a forging

Ouch; that's a different story altogether, man. You might want to toughen the insert grade up a little for a forging, or use one tool just to get the skin off and then go at it a little harder in the clean material. Rubbing the tools along that skin is a tool killer, so get under it in one pass wherever you can and watch out for serious DOC notching because of the forged surface.

C

quote:

Ouch; that's a different story altogether, man. You might want to toughen the insert grade up a little for a forging, or use one tool just to get the skin off and then go at it a little harder in the clean material. Rubbing the tools along that skin is a tool killer, so get under it in one pass wherever you can and watch out for serious DOC notching because of the forged surface.

I'm hoping things will ease up once we get through the out layer.