Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engraving a tube

B Weever

I am trying to engrave letters and numbers onto target rifle barrels using X3 (rotary axis) and the rolldie c-hook, but letters and numbers end up distorted and look like they have been stretched. The height of the letters and numbers is between .090" & .200"Is there a way make the fonts look normal? Is there a certain font to be used for engraving around a tube?

B

I tried axis sub some time ago and had no success, then I was told to use rolldie which works great with logos but poor results with letters. I may have missed some steps with axis sub method, have you engraved letters this way if so can shed some light on this method for me.

B

Do you have Level 3? If you do then you can do it with curve 5 axis very easily. Make the tool control the center of the 4th axis and then change the output type from 5 axis to 4th axis. The only thing about this method is extreme amounts of code.

Axis sub handles this much better IMHO. Creates less code and the machine runs cleaner for parts of this nature.

With axis sub you need to just pick the lettering, and use a standard 3 axis toolpath. Then on the axis sub make sure your wrap diameter is correct and you should be done. Now a question I get from time to time is how can I rotate it? I use the transform rotate and that gives me the ability to move the axis sub to a place or index that I just can not seem to get right when using Axis sub.

If you are still having problems then share a file and someone can help you out real qucik.

HTH