Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

geforce 9800 gt issues

RMagnusson

Hi folks,

After searching for an hour or two it seems a few people have had success with the GeForce 9800 GT graphics card...I, howerver, am having none.

My workstation got 'upgraded' from running off of the motherboard and now I can't work for more than two min without the screen blanking, freezing, omitting the graphics area, etc.

This card would not have been my choice even if I had one. Any way to make it work? I've tried settings/config/screen checked Open GL and Disable Front Buffer but it didn't help.

Thanks,

Ryan

2.66 ghz intel core 2 duo

3 gigs ram

mcx2 mr2

This worked for me. No tweaks applied to the drivers or MC.

For what its worth, I had some graphics issues with a new 9800gt. It started after I applied a service pack to Solidworks 2009. MC graphics got crappy and I played with with the Nvidia control panel setting for a few hours with marginal results. I chalked it up to the card. At a later date, I applied the update on a different machine, with a different card, same thing happened. Reloaded the OS and MC, no Solidworks or any other apps for that matter, and it RAN GREAT with the default driver settings. It was good to know that MC, WinXP SP3, and the 9800gt got along fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple things I'd check: Driver version, power supply, and temperature.

If you haven't already, download the latest drivers from Nvidia.com.

Make sure the power supply in your computer has enough watts to keep the card happy, and that the card has a secondary power cable run to it if it wants one. I'm betting a power supply for a system built with onboard video won't have enough for a 9800. You'll want at least a 600 watt supply from a good name brand.

If the case isn't letting enough air exchange the card could be overheating and malfunctioning, but I'd consider that less likely than the other two possibilities.

I have been running an EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX for over a year with no problems and no special tweaks. I downloaded the newest driver (at the time) from Nvidia's web site and it has been running fine. My video card needs a minimum of a 450 watt power supply. You may have some instability if your power supply is under powered.

My PNY 9800gt required 400w PS with a minimum 12v current rating of 26a (Both rails added together). The crappy part is that you probably won't find a 400w power supply with those ratings. I picked up a 600w Coolermaster rs-600-pcar-e3 for $40. on sale at Microcenter. Seems to be working fine. Needs a roomy case though, too many cables on that PS and it's a tight fit in a mid tower case. Corsair makes a good PS as well, a little pricier though.