Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing from Unigrahpics

Thad

Does anyone have any suggestions on importing files from Unigraphics? Here is our situation. The detail is designed as a solid in UG, then converted to IGES for me to import. I'm using mill level 1 so I can't read in the solid (or surfaces?) so I just get 3D wire frame. The geometry comes in skewed and generally, just kind of a mess. Actually, since I'm only doing 2D programming, having the 3D wire frame is kind of clutter. The 2D files that I'm using now (until we transition into UG across the board) seem to work out just fine.

Our designer is looking into it on the UG end, and I thought I'd pick your brains also. I believe the chook costs a couple grand and I'm not sure if we'd benefit from it anyway since I only have mill level 1. Any comments?

Thad

[ 08-14-2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: thad ]

You can read in the solid (with the solids addon) or the surfaces in mill lvl 1.If your reading UG files on an everyday basis the converter would be a good option.If your running V9 and you say the files are skewed im assuming you mean not on a normal plane in which case use your WCS

Gooday Thad,

If you are only using the files for 2D programming can you ask for a 3 or better 5 view drawing output in the dxf format. Usually you can get all the 2D info you need in the 5 views. Don't ask for a full blown drawing, otherwise you may be told it is too much work. Just request a UG generated drawing with no or minimal dimensions and use the 2D wireframe you need. A drawing format or template is not even needed, just the views, which are very easily created in any solid modeler.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

Chico