Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Solids

Dave

I would like some input on MC Solids. Generally speaking we recieve our models from our customers so we don't create them from scratch, as a rule. We are trying to determine what benefits solids would provide. Primarily are there any benifits at all for creating tool paths?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I use solids every day. I generate most of my toolpaths from them. Solids are a bit more difficult to "chain" but one great thing that outweighs the initial difficulty is that when the model changes, so does the toolpath. For me and the 4 other programmers here it's a VALUABLE tool that we would prefer not to live without. It shaves as much as 65% off of model development time depending on complexity over asurface modeling.

JM2C

Along with what james is saying is that some of the problems that you get from the surface model are not there.

You have a water tight model that if needed you can get clean none dup wire from and 99% of the time a great surface when needed.

Along with makeing change and update to the solids are great.

I would go bonkers without solids.

I currently import my solids into Mastercam and have become proficient at Solidworks and ProE. While this method works ok, model changes are a pain. I'd love to try solids and see if it is worth the investment of money and time learning. I wish CNC systems had some sort of a temporary license or other means of evaluating the software without buying it.

my take on the solids issue, especially the package released with V9 is as follows, especially if you get files from your customers:

the solids is a must, because you will get a "water-tight" model to start with so that you can create or pull good surfaces from.

having solids will also make it much easier for you to break up the file or files sent to you for machining.

very quick fixturing applications can be implemented.

there are so many more, but those listed above, in my opinion, are the standouts for the most part.

Dave,

Let's say the original part was designed using Solidworks or Pro-E. You bring it into Mastercam without Solids. You have Surfaces and Trimmed surfaces and no way of telling what the radius at the bottom of a cavity is without trying to create a surface "slice" or edge curve, or having the customer supply you with a hardcopy of the part. Bring the Solid part file into Mastercam with Solids and no matter what CAD system it was drawn in, you can find the size of fillets on the solid by using "Find Features" in V9. This will allow you to actually reproduce some history from the Solid part. You will then have parameters that can be adjusted, like the size of the fillet if the customer comes back and asks for a Rev change. You would be able to do it in a few seconds with Solids. With Surfaces, it would take you the better part of an hour to change the fillet size, if at all. Ease of use is the main advantage with Solids. Anyone who has ever needed to edit surfaces will tell you that. I also find it just as easy to select Solid faces and edges to machine as to try to create a 2D chain and then make sure it is chained in the right direction. Not to mention the new Solid Drill toolpath. JMHO cheers.gif