Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

shop floor software. job tracking

HEAVY METAL

all employees on the fooor are now using the bar code system for job tracking. My boss wnat me to bar code in on programming every job . My problem with this is I wear a lot of different hats. I would be logging on and off 20 times a day. My bosses roll is similiar to mine he does some programming , quote and many other things.. hes not using it he still filss out a time sheet which is what I want to do. we both get interupted many time a day for various things. I would like to hear someone else's take on this

I have this exact situation. I do clock in every day so that I know how many hours I work each year - maybe I would be better off not knowing the bad news. biggrin.gif

We add an engineering operation to our jobs and we bundle all engineering and non-recurring work into that operation (multiple employees log into it). I would never go back to hand written time cards due to the paper work and let’s face it, you will be guessing your time. I do my best to log in and out of jobs, and yes I often get interrupted or forget so it’s not perfect.

If my interruption is less than 15 minutes, I don’t worry about it. If it’s more, than I try to log off. I would suggest either try to have more discipline (easier said than done) or maybe you and your boss should just consider your time as general overhead but I would guess he wants to track how long programming and such are taking per each job.

No easy solution.

My hat collection is also quite large. I am back and forth from computer to multiple machines all day. Basically I guesstimate my time at the end of the day. I've wondered if I should get one of those chess clocks for my desk so I could get a more accurate picture of time spent programming. This would not solve your scanning requirement but would nail down your time spent.

They could still get my programming times off my written time sheet. An example of the pain in the xxxx for me is I got a job I'm programming a fixture for that will run six differnt parts of the same family. each part has its on P.O. so I was told to scan in on all of the jobs for the fixture so it gets divided up evenly between the parts. So if i get pulled off ----six times out then six times back in on that job. maybe 3-4 times a day to get "correct" programming time. we are a small job shop i handle all the mills and the people that run them plus who runs what and the flow of the job through out the shop. plus double checks and the cmm ,ordering tools Etc .

quote:

I was told to scan in on all of the jobs for the fixture so it gets divided up evenly between the parts.

Simple solution for this. Log into one only and when it's all done, have someone go into the software from and make the correction splitting the time across all.

My suggestion is to ask for a job# to use so you can track the time you're wasting scanning in and out of jobs!

Here's the process of the production department here.

-scan in under a job#

-fill out a time sheet that records the same information

-fill out a sheet every day for the quantity of parts you made on that job#

-enter that same information into a computer on the shop floor

Best part: if you run the same exact part on the same machine all day long for 4 different work orders, guess what?

Yes, you have to do everything stated above 4 times a day!

And, at the end of the day, the supervisor still has the balls to ask the guys, "Hey, how many parts did you run this week?" curse.gif

Don't you just love management?