Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T working with your father

biss03

First off,i'm 26 years old. i've been working at the same company as my father for the past 8 years. He has numerous titles (ie quality manager, process engineer). I started out as an operator while i was in high school. after that i went to the local CC and learned Mastercam. There were 2 other guys from my shop in the class and one of them convinced the owners to get Mastercam. they did their homework and found out i was the only one who actually understood (somewhat) how Mastercam worked so they gave me the promotion. Needless to say the guy who convinced them was not happy.

To my point/question:

how many of you have had to face the questions and ridicule of "only getting the promotion because of your dad"? And how did you deal with it?

I know for a fact this was not the case because if anything my dad has treated me worse than the others.

[ 08-19-2002, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: biss03 ]

I worked in my Dad's company for a couple of years in my teens (trucking, not this trade) and for my best friend's dad's company during the same period (also not this trade) and was always hearing that kind of crap. You will usually find that it comes from whiny malcontent types, the kind who are generally looking for something to bitch about anyway and just settle on you. My method for dealing with it generally went "the seat fits any backside; take your best shot" [language cleaned up for this august forum] when someone intimated that they could do a better job and that I was only around because of my family connections.

Because of your age you would probably have to deal with some of that even if your dad wasn't around; I know I do, and I'm 29. Just keep doing your best to get the job done, learn and better yourself every chance you get; eventually people will come around and see that you're doing it on your own.

cheers.gif

C

I have worked in a company where the father and son were together.

Now this was a little different because the father had ownership of the shop.

In my opinion it's alright to promote from within your family.

You're his son. Period. And the others will have to learn to live with that.

If the case was that you were squandering the opportunity given to you (which I am 100 percent sure that you are not), then I could see why they would have issue.

If you and the others are treated fairly and with respect I don't see the issue they have with it.

Don't let them get to you.

chances are good that if they bug you about it and you respond the way you have in this email they will keep it up.(I know I would) Shop work can get boring (70+ hours a week with the same people) and when I was doing it operators would do anything for a diversion. Including tweak a young kid.

Relax and get the experience.

or

Bust a few heads and get the experience.

favorite quote:

"its better to live on your feet than die on your knees"

[ 08-19-2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Greg McKay ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I worked with my father for about 3 years early in my machining career. I'll be the first to admit that the reason I was given the opportunity was because my father had been an outstanding employee for 15 years for the company. So when they were hiring and I applied. The company was probably hedging that the apple does'nt fall too far from the tree. Fortunately for me, it doesn't. Well I heard all kinds of crap for about 6-7 months. The lazy, stereotypical Union folks were trying to get their relatives in too. Well, they found out the more they bitched and said "Favoritism, favoritism", the harder and faster I worked and more praise was heaped on me by management and those whom I worked directly with and for, so eventually they stopped. I got promoted to do some special projects after about 1 1/2 years there.

The moral of the story is work hard, be a good employee so that when people say stuff, it won't stick.

JM2C

My Father worked for Sears for 32 years.

He was eventually the Manager of the Store.

When I was A teen I was Going to work there

All I had to to left in the process is show up at 3:00p.m for some testing that they require...

I showed up at 3:18 or so...

I failed the first test, being on time.

I didnt get the Job.

Just think I could have been the guy Trying to hustle an Extended warranty out of you!

[ 08-19-2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Tony ]

Working with family is tough no more so than in a small mom&pop shop. Worked for my brother for almost ten years. felt like I was locked in a closet. When I finally left my career went thru the roof. Didn't realize how much I knew, learned, taught myself....however it took almost three years for my brother to start talking to me again and he still resents the fact that I "deserted him" even thou working for him was killing me inside. Sooo, My advise is don't work with family and keep them at home!!! wink.giftongue.giffrown.gifcheers.gif

I've worked in a shop were my boss (the eng mgr) hired his kid (after he *finally* got out of college on the extended 6 year plan) as some type of "qc engineer". We never could really pin down what the kid was supposed to do to earn his pay. "I want his job... what is it anyway?" was a common question. Singing the lyric "Hold my hand - I'm a stranger in paradise" was also common.

I'm long gone but the kid/dad combo is still there. The dad has long since retired but hangs around to make sure sonny-boy doesn't keep stepping in it. I worked with the kid for about 8 years - and he was useless and clueless.

My point is: sometime the harassment is warranted.