Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

D2 Chemical Composition

Tim Simmermon

I am trying to find the SAE Chemical Composition tolerances for D2. I have been able to find Typical compositions on various suppliers website, but I need to see the actual SAE numbers. I have a Heat treater who says my matl is bad and he sent it out for analysis. Everything I see came back in spec (some at the low end) and he still says it's no good. I need something to prove them wrong. Does anybody have a sheet that lists the tolerances?

TIA

Tony,

Thanks. It's not one of the local guys. It's a company that my customer requires we use. I found on SAE's website that they offer a list of all chemical specs for $63. Trying to find a freebie. smile.gif

Both the certs from the supplier and the chemical analysis shows that it is D2. It might not be the purest D2, but it's D2. So they steel company fulfiled it's responsibility.

Problem is that the parts came out soft after the first run in the furnace. They say all other parts that were D2 came out fine, and only ours were soft. So they say ours is not D2. banghead.gif

I wish I could just pull the job, but then my customer won't accept it. Stuck until I can prove the heat treater is wrong.

I have seen D-2 and A-2 heat treated on a daily basis at a former employer. The only time we had a problem getting the steel hard was at fault of the steel composition. The steel company will NEVER admit to their wrongdoing. You may have to eat the cost.