Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5th axis help

bet338

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a 1/4" ballnose to cut the surface shaded in yellow following the 1/4" rad at the bottom with no luck. I've tried 5axis swarf using drive chains and that has gotten me the closest to following the bottom, but the tool gouges in the 'z' along the back wall and lays off the 'z' as comes to the front. I created curves on one edge using the intersect of the 1/4" rad around the part to the side wall then did a project to flatten it for the bottom chain and using a chain around the opening for the top chain. this is to be machine on a haas vf-5 trunnion.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

untitled.jpg

You can construct your control vectors using create line perpendicular.

I usually use the bottom edge curve.

Create point segment gives me something to attach the vectors to. I like to keep everythiog on separate levels cos' it can get kind of crowded.

You can use comp to surface or curve in Curve 5ax.....not sure about Swarf. If you can it will be on the geometry tab.

You can also manipulate your vectors and add lean/lag....I like the amount/choices of control in this toolpath. It takes longer to set up but I usually find the effort pays off in "fine tuning" the toolpath

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

The problem I'm having with this part, aside from not doing alot of 5x surface work, is the bottom at the back corners is wider than the top. It's hard to see in the pic. My bottom geo is made of curves but the top boundry is a spline that won't simplify. I'm going to try to draw geo on top of the spline to match and then maybe I can connect the two with lines to use.

Thanks,

Brian

The nice thing about Curve 5ax is that you can manipulate your tool control vectors to compensate; rotate around the point you create them from, project them onto the surface etc....In this case you might want to manipulte the "fanning" effect in the corners.

If your vector lines change to splines during this process I create another point at the top of the spline and then redraw a line between this point and the base point. This is a bit of a cheat but if the results exceed the tolerance of the part it will have to be stitched anyway.....

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

Do vector lines have to be straight to use 5ax curve? If you look at the end of the yellow shaded area the wall has a curve blending on the sides to the corner rads. I have some toolpath verified

with 5ax curve and it looks like it's a powerful tool, but can it be used here?

Thanks

Brian

<a  href=5axprob.jpg' alt='5axprob.jpg'>

You can project your vector line onto the yellow surface, you might need to untrim your surface. Then check to see if its a line or a spline. If its a spline create a point at each end and delete the spline. Then join the 2 points with a line.

It can be a fair bit of work. But if it wasn't we wouldn't have Starbucks and 7-11s on every corner, we would have 5ax machine shops a thriving manufacturing export industry and a much lower deficit....!!

Cheers

Nick

If the inside surface is "domed" you can run a high pass and a low pass with different amounts of "lean". This would allow you to use the same geometry.

Alternatly you could do two line/vectors to control each level individually.

If its a dished surface its more problematic as the bottom cut will undercut your initial cut.

How much is the loft? If its only a couple of thou. and you are not using 50% of your tolerance you can cheat it.

Technical term is 5 axis mismatch. We see that call all the time on our paperwork in our business (aerospace).

Cheers

Nick

used Advanced Multiaxis:

- parallel to curve (red you see on the bottom)

- drive surfaces are the side walls and the fillets

- Linking - gaps along set to "blend"

- clearance are set to sphere

- tool axis control is used by closed boundary at top with rounded corners to help tool pivot in the actual corners of the part.

5ax.jpg