Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing machine definitions diameter offset

I have a part I programmed for our Mitsiu Seiki horizontal mill. This machine uses T1 H1 D61. I now want to run this same part on our Kitamura. The Kitamura uses T1 H1 D1. I make a copy of the MCX file and replace the Mitsui machine and control def with the Kitamura machine and control def. Every thing works great except I am still getting D61 for my diameter offset even though my Kitamura machine and control def are set up to output T1 H1 D1. The only way I can get D1 is to open up the parameters for every operation and click on the tool and then it changes to D1. This can be tedious when you have a lot of operations. I think the diameter offset should switch automatically when you load in the new machine def. Does anyone know how to get this to work. My settings for tool in my control defs for each machine are as follows:

Tool offset registers

Mitsui Add to tool Length=0 Diameter=60

Kitamura Add to tool Length=0 Diameter=0

"The only way I can get D1 is to open up the parameters for EVERY OPERATION (?) and click on the tool and then it changes to D1. This can be tedious when you have a lot of operations."

Justin, maybe I'm missing something here but

as long as your not worried about actually changing the tool numbers, you can select all the ops in that group, then right click in the ops manager and renumber the tools QUICKLY. In that menu, you can select to keep the D value the same as the tool or add an incremental value to the tools all at the same time. I verify my changes with X+ before posting.

I've been burned by D values before, using the same M def and post (MPMaster) for both the Makino and the Haas and was just too lazy I guess to investigate how to Rename and modify the def and post to suit the individual machines.

The only values I want to change are the D values not the T or H values. My tools are not assigned sequentially so I do not wish to renumber them. It seems to me when you load a new machine def the D values should change automaticaly to match the way that machine def is set up. Just to clarify I want my T numbers and H numbers to be the same for both machines I just need different D numbers.

I agree this is a royal PITA & have seen more than one person get bit by this. In the post, I have done things to get around this...but once again it gets to be a PITA when you need to use 2 different diameter offsets for the same tool (not uncommon with our older machines doing 2 different sizes circle mill cycles)

I like the "use rules in machine def" idea.

Josh,

I am using the latest mpmaster machine def, control def, and posts. They were not updated. I make seperate machine defs, control defs and posts for each machine we have. In this case one is set up to post T1 H1 D1 and the other is set up to post T1 H1 D61. If I start a new file with new toolpaths everything works perfectly. When I program a job using one machine def then later replace that machine def with another one it won't recognize my diameter offset settings. It seems to me that if it can reconize them with a new file it should be able to recognize them when I replace the old machine def with a new one.

overthecrossbar,

I will look into that tommorrow.

JMC,

I agree!

• 3 months later...