Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing for Mcam Wire Help?

Cknoble1

Ok, well I have been using mastercam 9.1 for milling and x3 for wire. I can get by with doing 2D wire programs, but I recently got a job where I need to EDM a drafted surface with 2 teeth. I can supply an altered file for someone to look at. Basically it is a gripper for bottles. I can program it ok in 2D but It does not fully follow the correct profile that I want. I selected my chain and just added a taper, But is there anyway I can just use the 3D file and select the surfaces for the program and have the XY and UV axis follow that instead... or select a top and bottom chain together? If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help. I have never had any training on Mcam, just figured most of it out on my own, but now I have encountered something I can not figure out. If you want to look at the file, just let me know and let me know what file format you need... like sworks,, Binary.x_t,, .dwg,, .iges. I can supply whatever.

Waving from Carlisle,

Here is what it says in X4 MC help. I dont run any wire so I cant answer more clearly. Sounds like you are on the right path with the XY and UV chains.

4-axis wirepaths

4-axis wirepaths have geometry in both the XY plane (the lower contour) and UV plane (the upper contour). Where a contour wirepath derives a second contour from the geometry, a 4-axis wirepath can have completely different geometry in the two planes, resulting in different wire movement in the XY and UV planes. The examples below show a 4-axis wirepath with different geometry in the XY and UV planes.

When 3D tracking is supported by the wire EDM machine and the control, you can use the 3D tracking option to enable Mastercam Wire to include variable Z depths for geometry that does not lie completely in a single plane. The 3D tracking check box is located in the Trimming area of the 4 Axis page.

Like John said, using lower and upper chains

is the way to go. In "Toolpaths" pick 4 axis and

then select a thread point and the lower chain, then select the upper chain. Then in the wirepaths pages you need to fill out the correct info. Mastercam help explains it pretty well. I would suggest cutting a test piece just to make sure your settings all jive. I would go into more detail, but

it varies a lot depending on the wire machine.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

Sometimes when I am using a model that has crappy geometry, I draw a line across the bottom and top of the surfaces I need to wire and use "xform, project to surface" These seem to give cleaner geometry then I usually get from our models.

Just another idea if you have trouble with

your model.