Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

More Router Questions

Trevor Bailey

I have asked this before, but I need a little more info on what you guys/gals think about Anderson, Northwood, & Komo routers. I have narrowed down our choices to these few machine names. From what I can tell, they all seem to be pretty well built and user friendly.

I need all input I can get from everyone.

Thank you,

i cut banjo necks from different types of hard woods. all 3d tool motion, vacuum fixtures, agrogates.

i personally do not like the xxxxor controls. i have experience with them from working with the san diego dealer, charles davis.

i called the quintax people and never got a response either over the phone or by mail.

thanks for the reply,

Trevor,

The xxxxor isn't a bad control. Funny that (at least on the Motionmaster) you have to use a special WinDNC program and can't use a standard RS-232 communications program.

Besides rigidity, I'd ask (and have them prove) how many blocks per second the control/machine can process. I'd go so far as to program a 3D shape at the feedrate you want, and actually run it on the machine before you decide: don't take anyone's word for it!

If you're programming 300 IPM and the machine only achieves 60, and bumps and shakes while doing it, you'll miss your production goals.

my 2 cents

[ 08-29-2002, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

You mean that Denny Brazelton did not call you back???

Realy I would try again try extention 137 or

extention 121 to get Tom Corlett Sr. he is the GM

the xxxxor 8055M that they put on their routers has the high speed machining option and a Ethernet conection for downloading very fast.

also has a hard disk for large program storage and running capability.

They are less costly than say Anderson.

Check them out before you spend more than you have to.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'd go with the Komo, especially if it's got a Fanuc Control on it. With the Fanuc, you can get a Dataserver which connects to your network and brings your program in via ethernet. Talk about speedy. RS-232 SUCKS, I would not even consider a machine that used this method for program I/O, at the very least it should be able to read an SRAM Card (Fanuc i Series COntrols do this). Back to the dataserver, you can get them up to I think 4GB at least. Plus Fanuc has HPCC (High Precision Contour COntrol) wich gives you 2MS (Millisecond) Block Processing Time, True 180 Block Look Ahead and the most steller servo performance on the market.

But like your friend and mine - Charles said, make them run something you programmed. The proof is in seeing it run. Any company not willing to run your test part or two is not worth doing business with period!

JM2C

[ 08-30-2002, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

James,

It also comes down to how much you want to spend....

These BIG name off shore manufactures Are not shy about charging big bucks for their machines only bacuse they are "so-in-so" machine Co. that also goes for Control makers.

xxxxor has and is working DIRECTLY with Quintax to continuously improve the motion control system.

Quintax tried working with AB and others but they said basicly "here is a control that can handle 5+ axis" how many do you want ???

AB and others would not even think of working with Them to better both products.. (control/ machine)

The Komo I looked at was just awesome. The speed, rigidity, and overall quality could not be matched by any other machine I saw at the show. I was able to see them run 3d toolpath's, along a few other manufacturers. The Komo could not be matched in my opinion. The Quintax sales person that they also would run a part for me. We just have to set up a time. As usual, the price is a big factor. The Komo is by far the most expensive machine we are considering, but I do not believe a company should put a price limit on quality, speed, ease of use. If you can afford it, get the best you can.

I do, however, look forward to seeing the Quintax. I never shutthe door on possibilties.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Good point Eric. I'd(personally if it was my own money) still rather pay more for tried and true (Fanuc) than less (xxxxor, Anilam, etc...) for any reason. See, Fanuc has been at the Motion Control business almost since the beginning. They are the industry standard for a reason. AB dropped the ball back in the 80's and Fanuc picked it up and ran and EVERYBODY has been trying to catch up since then. Fanuc owns about 60% of the motion control market right now. The parts are relatively easy to get if you need them, even for the older stuff. They continue to improve. The 15i is their most advanced model. It'll control up to like 15 axes and it'll do like 8 simultaneously. Yes you pay more for options, for the hardware, but trust me, it's well worth the extra expense, plus, posts are a breeze compared to say an Acramatic or Heidenhein cotrol. Now Iron is another area where if you skimp, you'll pay the price too. It's hard to say which is more important because they are both soooo very important.

JM2C