Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Segmentation in contouring

stevieboy

hello all,

Segmentation in contouring, I used a g-code once that took the segment lines out of the contour, and left a smooth finish and not broken up.

I used the code on an older Cincinnati Horz. Actermatic 850, the code as I remember was contouring, but anyway, I trying to get the segment lines out of the parts that I program for the Haas (Super VF 6) and the Cincinnati (FTV 840-3700) the (Cincinnati has a Fanuc GE 18i control.

Your help will be well-appreciated.

thank you

What's the tolerance for the part feature your machining? If you can go .003 to .005, you should be able to get good sized arcs instead of line segments and small arcs in your code.

Even at .0001, the 22" long arc size you speak of could produce some facets.

(22" rad / +/- .0001 chord height = .1326 chord length. This would definitely be visible.)

Is it a true Radius, or splines and lines?

Try 2:1 ratio with .003 TT and see what happens to the code.

I am getting somehwat the same issue but i did what was suggested and the program looks better. now if i could get the actual program length shorter i would be happy. on the finish pass i get say 9000 lines of code and it takes 20 minutes to load and i have 5 of them to machine.

The part you are machining was it a model or print that was imported or did you draw it yourself? I know sometimes when I import an inventor or autocad drawing the arcs are segments not arcs. I think this might make mastercam output line moves instead of arcs. I know filtering can solve this problem if the lines are close to an actual arc but if they are not smooth enough to be considered an arc this may be causing your problem. Maybe create actual arcs yourself, toolpath them and see what your posted code looks like. Just a thought.

2400 baud rate? On the Haas and the F 18I controllers? Something is wrong . You should be around 115000 on the Haas, not sure about the 18I but it should be as high.

I agree with Jim as well, draw the arc and 2d contour it if possible.

Sounds like we're missing some info here. Posting the file on the ftp will get you results.

Parts are looking better now, and thank ya'll once again for your help.

Now I'm going to try the Dynamic mill for the thick area, I going to do a little research first,

Going about 1.6 deep into some T-6 alum. with a 1" Hss Bull em with a radius of .125

not sure on the speeds and feeds and step over yet.

tks. again!