Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill material

powerstechteacher

Have you tried to mill hard wood like cherry, maple, oak. I used these materials (woods) and acrylic.

I had my students machine their cad drawings of machine parts - cog gears, cams cog gears that would be installed in Automata projects. Name plate desk plates in Cherry and Oak were a big hit for parents and teachers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did our milling projects with aluminum and acrylic. Probably not the cheapest material though wink.gif I'd recommend attempting to teach the students what is actually happening when and end mill plunges, or faces material and the forces involved. And why sometimes lower feed with a slower spindle speed would be better.

• 2 weeks later...

When I took CNC Programming, we also had the same issue of trying to find cheap material. We used a re-usable casting wax. We had an electrically heated tank with a ball valve at the bottom (open top) and we would pour ingots of wax and let them cool. When a student was done cutting their project, we would throw the cut block and all of the chips back into the tank and re-melt it again. The best thing about cutting the wax was the cleanup. No dust to deal with. Just make sure you take a big enough chip with a slower RPM so you don't melt the block.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 20 to 40 lb. polyurethane foam... I get drop from our local manufacture (General Plastics, Tacoma, WA) who makes it for the Airospace industry (Boeing)

See Generals link for machinable foam blanks

http://www.generalplastics.com/products/pr...ail.php?pid=28&

and Last-A-Foam FR-7100 for modeling and CNC machining....

http://www.generalplastics.com/products/pr...ail.php?pid=19&

• 2 months later...

Colin

Can you suggest feed & speeds for cutting wax. I have been through this whole process many times and I keep coming back to waxes. I presume you are talking about wax that is used in the investment casting process, which is a lot harder than normal crystaline wax. I did have a supplier that mixed me a batch of special wax that was a combination of crystaline wax and polyurathane (Poly that is used in hot glue guns)this wax was a dream to machine, it produced a good chip, And like you said once everything is done the wax can be re-used.

Hi Torr,

The biggest thing with the wax is not getting it hot. You should be using sharp High Speed Steel cutters (no need for carbide), lower RPMs, with a thick chip load.

For example, I'd run a 2 flute .250 endmill at about 1000 RPM, with about a .005-.01 chip load per tooth. So for a 2 flute endmill, .015-.02 feed per revolution would work pretty well.

Try experimenting.

I'm not exactly sure of the grade of wax we used at the college, but I don't think it was investment casting wax. Ours was really soft and wasn't very dimensionally stable, but it didn't need to be. We were just using it to prove out NC programs, so the emphasis was on getting the code right and getting it to run. Come to think of it, I don't think we measured it at all.

This was back in the mid-90's, and we weren't even programming real machines, we programmed these little desktop mills.

The machining program at LWTC has evolved quite a bit.

I think they still start the students off with wax, but they also get a fair amount of aluminum and other metal remnants donated now, so the students can progress to cutting real material.

Having the wax melting tank so you can re-use the material is a huge help...

HTH,

• 2 weeks later...