Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

pls. need help with mcam to milacron post

zeke

• 1 month later...

I've one CNC Cincinati milacron, sabre 750 Acramatic 850SX (3 axis).

I try send a NC program from PC to CNC via RS232 used cimco editor,but message errors occur.

Device error - Framing [alert # 00196]

Device error - Parity [alert # 00195]

(I lost my machine operation manual book, so I don't know what the alarm means.)

so, does anybody had that problem before and how you solve it. Please advice.

(my post, cable connection, cimco edit and machine parameter setting is OK)

Cheong,

If you are getting those errors all the time, then you most likely do not have the communication parameters set correctly at both ends.

If your communication parameters are set correctly at both ends, yet you get parity and framing errors, then the problem is your cable, or close to it.

The problem is most likely electrical noise, this can be caused by several things.

Too long a cable.

Cable too close to power cables.

Cable too close to 'noisy' machines like EDM's.

Cable poorly shielded or unshielded (shield has to be connected to ground at the PC end, unconnected at the machine end).

The possible solutions depend on the problem, and the associated price tag can vary a lot, from practically nothing (strip the cable to the outside of the cable bed instead of putting it inside the cable bed) to fairly expensive (replace the cable with fiberoptics - you will also need RS232 to fiberoptics converters at both ends).

If you could be more specific about when your problem occurs, and which other machines close to the cable are in use at those times, then it would be easier to work out what the problem is. The length of your cable and your communication parameters might also help, though I do not know what the correct parameters for your control are.

A small addition.

Framing error: One or more control characters are wrong or missing.

Parity error: One or more data characters are wrong.

In both cases, one or more binary 1's have become 0's or 0's have become 1's. You don't want that to happen, this could for example cause an 8 to become a 0 or a 0 to become an 8, and if the tool should go to X180, then going to X100 instead probably won't produce the intended result.

Both errors are most often caused by electrical noise.

hi Christian,

Thanks for quick replied.

Ok let me make in more specific in my communication parameters.

In Cimco editor, the parameter setting:-

Baudrate=9600, Parity=none, stopbit=1,Databits=8, Software (enable DTR and RTS).

In the CNC machine parameter setting:-

Dataline,Baudrate=9600, Parity=none, stopbit=1, Databits=8 Protocol Level=1, Idr count=0, add'RT'=Yes, Form feed=NO.

To standby the machine, I used Transfer-Line-Store-Start.The errors occur immediately when PC start send program.I had check the cable connection and it's in good shielded. I also play with the communication parameters setting but it still don't work.

The cable length is 6 feet from PC to CNC. There is no any machine beside.

For your information, I've dos software called DCDNC. It's work used this cable. The parameter setting for this software are :-

Baudrate=9600, Parity=None, Stopbits=1, Databits=8, Protocol Level=2, Idr count=0, add 'RT'=No, Form feed=NO.

Please advice.

Thanks

With Parity:None, I do not see how parity errors could happen, but of the parity error occurs after the framing error, then that might be a minor bug in the control software. Since the framing error aborts the transmission anyway, having a parity error message pop up makes no practical difference.

From what you describe, the problem must be control characters that have to be sent at start of feed and/or end of feed, which you are missing in your comminucation setup in CIMCO Edit. Unfortunately, I do not know which control characters that might be. You will probably have to contact your machine supplier about that.

One thing you might try is to change the "Protocol Level" setting on the control, and perhaps also to set the "Add'RT'" to no. That is just a guess, though, I have no idea whether that will actally work.

Cheong

I'm not familiar with your particular control but I've seen errors often with too high of a baud rate; a lot of machines will allow you to set the baud rate higher in the parameters than they are capable of reliably transferring data. It may sound dumb but try setting the baud rate to 1200 and see if the problem goes away. If it does you can keep bumping up the speed until you get the error again.

C

Chris M,

The old DOS program works correctly at a baudrate of 9800, so it is unlikely that the baudrate is a problem. With 6 feet of good cable and no noise sources nearby, a higher baudrate should be possible, if the control can handle a higher baudrate.

Mold100,

7E1 is the most common setup, as you have noticed yourself, but 8N1 is not unusual either, and the old DOS program works with 8N1.

The problem seems to be the framing, i.e. the control characters at start and end of feed.

I've not luck today, it doesn't work. I try to adjust the parameter to 9600 7E1, it worked on download (CNC to PC) but cannot upload (alarm parity or framing), It's cable connection problem?

problem must be control characters that have to be sent at start of feed and/or end of feed, which you are missing in your comminucation setup in CIMCO Edit.

Christian,

what your suggection to set on Start of feed and/or end of feed?

Please advice

Thanks

zeke (Dave),

It seems your original post was hi-jacked. Contact your reseller for the post you're looking for. If they don't have one, they should be able to get you one in short order. If it needs modification, they should be able to handle that as well. Or you could take your chances with any one who replies to your request here. Test anything you receive before making any parts with it. That's true of any post, whether from an end user or reseller. If it doesn't do what you want, at least the reseller is obligated to make it to work for you, especially if you pay them for the modification. HTH biggrin.gif

[ 01-21-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

cheong,

Threads in this forum get hi-jacked all the time. I just thought that Zeke may have felt a bit out of the loop since he hadn't replied to James' request for more info. I was hoping to give him the chance to respond and let us know if any of the tips were helpful. Also, since it was his first question, I didn't want him to think that no one cared about his issue and was put off by the hi-jacking.

Zeke,

Welcome to the forum and let us know how you did. Honestly, everyone's here to help out. cheers.gif

[ 01-22-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]