Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Constant Scallop Finishing

Phil Orenstein

So sue me!

Sorry I have been incommunicado for the past 6 months, but I wanted to share some great finds with all my buddies here.

I had been getting file sizes of 50, 100, and one over 400MB eek.gif and code files up to half that size, when I invoked the great "Scallop Finishing Toolpath", mankind's greatest invention since the wheel. My tolerance setting are usually .0005 and stepovers of .005 to .010. When I changed the default collapse resolution of 80% to 50% or finer, the toolpath would come out much smoother, but the files would be even larger.

Then my MC distributor, Cimquest turned me on to point filtering the 2nd greatest invention. Now I filter to .001 or 2:1 and files are now smaller than 1/4 of the size!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Phil

Yeah. Surface/Project/and on the Finish Project Parameters page, choose Projection Type - Blend. Basicly, it lets you "model" your toolpath over your surfaces, kinda like modeling a flowine path without your surfaces having to form a row. What you do is select the surfaces you want to machine, and 2 contours (you might be able to use more, I'm not sure I haven't tried it yet) on either side of your part. Mastercam will start with your first contour as the first pass projected over the surfaces and blend that contour pass by pass over the surfaces to the one on the other side by your specified min stepover (or stepdown when it get verticle (sp?)). I just did this part yesterday, 4 and a half hours it will take to go over the whole thing on the machine. Tool comes down to the part at the beginnig, and retracts at the end, doesn't come off the part once. Nicccee. I haven't been able to try it out on anything really complicated yet, but from the results I've been getting on the parts I am doing it's friggin sweeeet man. The only downside is, depending on the surfaces and the contours you choose, it can be a really computer intensive toolpath which might take a while to generate, so you better get it right the first time! eek.gif

Check it out man, you'll like it biggrin.gif

If v9.1 is even better, now I really can't wait cheers.gifcool.gif

[ 12-24-2002, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Thanks Zero, I'll have to try it. But I've often used regular Surface Project to project a 2D contour or pocketing toolpath down onto a set of contoured surfaces. It has always worked beautifully. For engravings and such I would usually do a spiral pocket routine working from the inside out and project it. How is Project Blend different?

Happy Holiday

Phil