Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

earlier i asked for suggested graphics cards

biss03

Here are the options i was given by our computer guy that will work with my system. which of these would you recommend (keeping in mind that we are a mid sized production shop who has been adversely affected by the economy- in other words, money is tight).

3DLABS WILDCAT VP760 VP 700 VPU Graphics card - Wildcat VP700 - AGP

8x - 64 MB DDR SDRAM $336.39

3DLABS WILDCAT VP970 128MB Graphics card - Wildcat VP900 - AGP 8x -

128 MB DDR SDRAM $1,196.98

3DLabs Wildcat VP870 Graphics card - Wildcat VP800 - AGP 8x - 128 MB

DDR SDRAM $588.32

3DLABS WILDCAT VP0560 64MB F OPEN GL $219.65

These are the Quadro 4 XGLs

Compaq NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL 128MB DDR AGP 4X video card $589.13

Compaq NVIDIA Quadro4 550 XGL AGP Graphics Controller $259.23

Compaq NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL 128MB DDR AGP 4X video card $569.05

HP NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL 128MB DDR AGP video card $1,049.90

thanks,

josh

Personally, I'd avoid cards from 3DLabs for the time being as they've been acquired by Creative Labs (the sound card folks that make the SoundBlasters) and the future of the Oxygen and Wildcat lines are uncertain. I would not get a card that has less than 128MB RAM now, either. The 128MB Quadro4 XGL 750 would be my choice, but that's just me wink.gif

quote:

Compaq NVIDIA Quadro4 550 XGL AGP Graphics Controller $259.23

This is what I use and it seems to be great. Keep in mind I do not have solids! I run MC9SP1 mill level 2.....For what its worth. I think the general thought around here is that NVIDIA is about the best solution for mastercam.

cheers.gif

[ 01-07-2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Toolfab ]

biss03,

If money's tight right now, why go with a Wildcat or Quadro card. The GeForce 4 Ti series offers almost identical performance for much less. I would avoid the GeForce MX series cards as they are the lowest end of the NVidia GeForce chipset. I have a GeForce 3 AGP 2X 64 Mb card in my system here at work and Mastercam runs flawlessly. We have at least 2 brand new GeForce 4 Ti series cards in our training room and have not had any problems with Mastercam. I also run many other applications while Mastercam is open, such as Outlook, Excel, MetaCut Utilities, Paint, Word, Internet Explorer, etc... Make sure you always keep the drivers updated. I usually just go right to the NVidia site for updates. HTH biggrin.gif

I'm running the INVIDIA GeForce 4Ti 4200. It is the cheapest of the 4200,4400,4600 series, but still has 128mb of RAM. I think I paid about 200$ or so. It runs absolutly flawlessly with 3d, solids, etc. I'm not really sure what else I could ask for! Also running a 2.4 p4, with 1 gig of ddr. Intel 845 motherboard. Hope those suggestions help!

The computers in my lab at school all have Quadra4 750 boards, and I have a Quadra DCC on my office workstation. They are wonderful with anything I throw at them. I prefer NVidia for all the reasons I used to like 3D Labs for. Nvidia's unified driver archetecture means that even the low-end boards can make use of stable ISV certified workstation-class drivers.

The Quadra4 750 seems the best bang-for-buck of the three, as it's viewperf scores are signifigantly better than the 550 and it has twice the video ram. The 900 only offers a marginal boost over the 750. Given that it is twice the price, that boost dosn't seem worth the premium.