Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Error

cqualls

Error allocating memory for toolpath function.

When I load a file that is 25 meg(tried 2 different files and get the same error) or so I get this error when trying to analyze a contour. I also get it if I attempt to create a toolpath of any kind. 1 gig ram. allocations are 16000, 32000, 64000, 128000, 256000. I've tried increasing and decreasing these numbers with no luck. Windows xp professional, wildcat vp870 video card, Mill 9.0 sp1 solids.

Oohhhhh mad.gif the dreaded allocating memory error mad.gif I hit that one evry now and then. Not sure what really causes it, but it only seems to happen while doing computer intensive toolpaths on larger files. There is also the dreaded Error Writing to Machine Temp File error that comes up every now and then. Sometimes if you just try regening the path without changing anything, it will work the 2nd time. Sometimes I'll have to screw around with some of the variables (like stepdown/over, machining tolerance, gouge checks, etc....) and it will regen ok. Other times I've had to resort to a completely different type of toolpath.

Also, the RAMSaver might help out.....again, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

There is no toolpaths in the file. I'm getting the error when trying to anylize a contour. Because of what the error is I attempter to create a simple 2d contour path and it did give me the same error. This file has approx. 12000 lines 12000 arcs 48 splines 18000 trimmed surfaces in it. I ran ram saver and decreased the file from 34 meg to 25 meg but still have the problem.

quote:

I'm getting the error when trying to anylize a contour

Hmmm.... I've never seen that one (yet).

Does it do this to every entity you try to analize?. I'm guessing this is a file that wasn't created in MC. You might want to try rebuilding the problem countour(s) with some geometry of your own.

[ 01-10-2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

I think what CQualls mean is, that he is trying to use the Analyze -> Contour function. That function probably uses the same algorithms as Toolpaths -> Contour, and thus both give the same error.

The first place I would look for the problem would be in the splines, do they have any sudden direction reversals?

With that number of entities in the file, it is presumably imported from another CAD system. Which system was it imported from, and in what format? What kind of tolerances were used when exporting the file from the other system?

If one or more splines are overdefined (i.e. have too many points), then there appears an error message to that effect when the part is imported into Mastercam, so increasing the number of points per spline allocation won't make a difference (at least not if that error message did not appear).

If it is one or more splines that are causing the problem, then it is most likely a better idea to reduce the splines, so they have fewer points.

To reduce a spline, select 'Analyze' from the main menu, select the spline, and select 'Edit' if the edit dialog has not appeared. You can then enter the allowable error and click 'Reduce', then you may find that the spline can be reduced to far fewer defining points. Or you may find that it cannot be reduced, in which case it probably isn't that spline that is causing the problem.

Thanks for all the help thus far. I left early Friday so I'm looking at all the replies now.

One file I'm looking at was created in pro-e and imported from iges, the other was created in solid works and imported from parasolid.

This morning I put the Mcam key on my old computer system and was able to open the file and work with it with no problems. I then copied the cfg file from the old system to the new one, opened the file back up and still have the same error message. Old computer is running Windows 2000 professional new computer is running Window xp Pro???

Put lines, splines, arcs and surfaces on different levels. Didn't help

cqualls,

quote:

1 gig ram. allocations are 16000, 32000, 64000, 128000, 256000.

If I read this correctly you are multiplying the allocations by two for each field. Do you really need 64,000 entities stored in the Delete memory? If I have to bring back that many entities during an Undelete, I might as well start over from the last known saved file. Reducing this number will free up more memory to be allocated for other things, such as toolpath and analyze functions. Mine is usually around 50 entities for Delete memory and 64000 Data Base and 32000 Toolpath on 256 Mb of RAM (Total allocated is 107MB). I would stick with the other numbers remembering to keep around the 50-75% mark of TOTAL physical RAM on the computer (in your case around 500Mb to 750 Mb). The Operating System and other resident applications need RAM to perform their functions as well. HTH biggrin.gif