Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T material roll length

Oppiz

This isn't an answer either, but if you only need to do this once, try calling a local coil-stock (sheetmetal) supplier; they probably have calculators for that.

You could also figure the weight of the coil ("roll") as a solid tube, then find the weight-per-foot of the sheet stock and calculate from there. This should be reasonably close.

C

Create, next menu, spiral/helix. Set your inside radius, your pitchs' would be your material thickness. For the number of revolutions take your major radius subtract your minor radius and divide by material thickness and then add 50. Create the spiral on the origin and then create an arc of the correct size of the outer diameter and trim your spiral to the arc. Delete the arc and analyze the chain. This may create mutiple splines, if this is the case you may have to do a create spline from curves to get one entity that you can analyze. I don't beleive the analyze contour allows splines. You could also place a contour toolpath with no cutter comp on and save as geometry and use the analyze contour on that geo.

hope this helps,

quote:

(Outer area - Inner area)/Thickness = Length

I used this formula and I also used the weight calculations and came up with simular answers. I was looking for a ball park figure anyway. I couldn't get spiral to work. Thank you for the help smile.gif

If you are trying to figure out how many parts you can make from "said coil", I find it is easier to figure out the material needed to produce one part(i.e. L x W x T x density = part weight)....then find the weight of the coil. I will upload a spreadsheet to the FTP site.....(coil weight.xls). Hope this helps.... biggrin.gifcheers.gif

P.S. I use a density factor of .29 for steel and .1 for aluminum....