Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"Why can't I rotate on diffrent Planes?"

efred5

I am trying to machine a CATIA 3-D model in MC v8.

I want to skim the back side of a plate, put in some mounting holes, then flip it over and "picture frame" the rest of the part. The problem is MasterCAM wants to make that first face B180 deg., (using a horizontal mill), when really it will be B0. Do I need to always draw or move my models to the actual machine view? Do I need to create a million diffrent mc8 files or a million levels? Why can't I just have one mc8 file with all of my set-ups and toolpaths. Does v9 correct this problem, or am I just going about this the wrong way? confused.gif

(I'm over @Brenner; MachineMasterG) I have the T&C planes set, but what I want to do is face off the back first(c-plane #3). This face is in reality B180., but if the operator runs with the B180. call in the program he is going to face off the back side of the tombstone, and not the front of the stock! Ouch! So I guess what I am trying to do is trick the system into thinking that the B180 side is B zero. mad.gif

Couldn't you rotate your part in MCAM so that B0 is in the same position as it is on the machine so the back side would be in the top view and then create T/C planes based on that?

It sounds to be like your back side in the machine is at B0, but on Mcam the back side is on the bottom (B180).

Does that make sense or have I completely missed the mark? (I do not have a 4th axis, but I do use T/Cplanes for rotating my parts manually)

I don't think Dave is still here. If I rotate the part then I'm S.O.L. for the opposite side, right? (I won't be able to verify the paths correctly.)I wanted to stay away from rotating the geometry all of the place. What I don't understand is, why, if I name a T&C plane, and make that 0,0,0, does MC want to spin that around?

Hi efred,

The reason it wants to turn it around is because MC is associative. What you want to do is rotate the geo around 180 while set in Top T/C Plane.

After that go to the view you want. Looking at the side of the part you want to machine set your T/C plane and save that as your named view.

Hope this is clear enough to help you out. cool.gif

The posts are set up to interpret ALL t-plane changes as rotations of axes. The only ways to get what you want in v8 are to either flip the part over so that the B0 and B180 sides are reversed, or edit the post to add 180 deg to all B values.

V9 has a user definable WCS which can redefine the "top" t-plane thus preserving part orientation but allow a new "B0."