Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Core Machining

kathy

still trying to move this topic over to new thread...

I'm getting a current version of my .mc9 file and a .doc showing picture uploaded to the ftp.

I tried Charles suggestions, and am still getting alot of material excess along the one edge.

Also, I need to 'force' a flat endmill into the area where the ball mill is cutting (op 5).

Kathy

And I wanted to bring this up to the top...

Anyone out there interested in looking at this for me? Tuesday afternoon I uploaded the current file to the ftp. This file has the bottom (SETUP B) machined and it looks good except for a ridge of material against the back edge.

The steps are still very ugly - maybe there is a better approach to use like paralle with an approx. angle. But the steps sweep across the part, so flowline seems the best to me.

eek.gif Maybe this is an instance where Mastercam just can't machine the part rolleyes.gif

Kathy

Hi Kathy

Just to clean up the ugly steps.

Would it be of any help to make a simple pocket to

the desired shape at z=0, and then project that onto the surfaces?

This way you can use the same .500 dia. e.m. but you could control the x,y direction(any)to use the ellipse of the cutter to reduce the ugly steps.

quote:

Maybe this is an instance where Mastercam just can't machine the part

This just doesn't happen.

If anything can go right it will at the best possible moment.

[ 02-06-2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Scott - I'll try that tommorow. Do you mean a 3D pocket routine, than project that toolpath onto the surface?

After I get a decent 3d toolpath, than I'll probably have to tweak it to make sure the tool cuts the material okay.

I was out sick yesterday, and today got caught up in another hot project. So I guess I'm a little grumpy...

Thanks, Kathy

Jay - we're doing the overall surface in a 5-axis cut. It seems to cut well on the butterbaord, but we really don't know if it dimensionally correct until we go to the CMM.

I have duplicate cuts in 3axis so I can run the tool path in Vericut. As for the steps, we are planning to use a regular flat end mill vrs a core cutter, so we really don't need the 5 axis to keep the cutter edge into that core.

Maybe I'll also play with curve 5 axis on the steps. As you can see, there isn't much depth to the step, about .050. One pass.

Thanks for all the help, KAthy biggrin.gif

Scott - did you see anything that will help me??

I'm still very concerned about op #7 - the plenum edge surface that I'm cutting 3axis with a ball em. I need to have Mastercam machine that area with a flat em, but so far without sucess.

Thanks Scott - Kathy

Kathy looking at the twist and the shap edge I do not see doing this with a sharp edge unless you can rotate the part say on a 4axis or doing with the 5 axis so you can tilt the tool.

this just what I see of my head real fast.

Kahty now that opened all your levels are you using the fixture to rotate about the rotary axis.

then we can do something there.

Like 5 axis output as 4th to get it to follow the surface.

[ 02-11-2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Jay - we are cutting with a 5axis head, so I play around with that area tommorow. As I see, the 'main' surface is cutting well with the curent 5 axis path!

Originaly we were going to rotate the part on a 4 axis, and I havn't cleaned up the Catia generated tooling (wireframe) to delete the mandrals. Now we are machining it flat. Maybe tommorow I'll take some pictures of the proofboard @ the fadal.

This is going to become unbearable hot real soon!! biggrin.gif And of course, I'm doing it in my spare time still got a whole bunch of other parts that are hot!!!!!

Thanks again, Kathy