Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ridiculously long run times

Francis Farmer

When your speeds and feeds all seem to be in line, and you are using a particular tool to cut one contour, and the times are great; what do you look for when the same tool cutting a circular tool path (counterbore, no finish or roughing passes) takes a year (5 hrs.). All of my speeds and feeds are the same. Is it something in my tool def.? What sorts of things do you guys look at?

Thanks alot,

-Francis

I circle mill C'bores too.

(Mostly because people try to hand sharpen the c'bore tools and Ruin them) mad.gif

Here are some "Off the top of my head" #'s

The through hole is already there from a drill operation,So I circle mill from center

(I use my half worn out Solid carbide)

Z-.010 a pass @ 40 ipm 2200 rpm with flood

Bigger bores I can fit an insert cutter in there

Z-.020 and faster feeds/speeds

You can use h.s.s hog mills and take the

whole thing at once,

But only at 2.0 ipm and 200/400rpm w/Flood.

[ 02-06-2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Tony ]

Does the machining actually take 5 hours? Who would watch a machine run for 5 hours milling a counterbore?!?!? Unless the c'bore is about 6 feet in diameter and 3 feet deep I'd say that's a little excessive! Hopefully this is only a MC generated time and a guy didn't come in off the floor saying "I'm going home, the second shift guy will watch the next hole."

But seriously, one thing it might be is a "per-rev" feedrate entered with IPM mode selected, like:

G94 G03 X?.??? R?.??? F.016

I've had this happen a couple of times; .016" IPM is REALLY slow eek.gif

C

What I did was draw this part as a solid model in Autocad, then import it into mastercam. Could the method I used to draw the model have any bearing on how it is chained, and then posted? The machine doesn't run as long as I'm saying, the length of run time comes from the fact that on this particular contour in the g-code about every ten or so lines it is throwing out a zero feed value. When I go to load the program into my machine it throws up errors, and wont run until I change the zero feed values in the code. Nothing I have ever drawn using mastercam has given me this trouble. Should I just redraw in Mastercam?

Thanks for your responses thus far.

-Francis