Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary Axis/Indexer Questions

Brent Wilkerson

Ok I read the last week’s topic about machining different sides and searched and read entries about indexers. I still have some questions. confused.gif

Some Info

Using a Supermax VMC with a Fanuc 18MC control

Indexer is Yuasa that rotates about the X-Axis, B-Axis on machine.

Need to have a M28 code to unlock and M27 code to lock the indexer before rotating.

Would like each plane to be the same work offset. We do not use a different G5X for each face.

From the MC help

quote:

Tplane parallel to Cplane

Setting a Tplane parallel to the current construction plane allows you to redefine any 2D plane as the machine’s XY plane. This Tplane setting is recommended for programming tombstone and rotary axis toolpaths.

Note: Post processors that support the Tplane automatically output indexing codes when the Tplane changes between operations. Use TPlane, Rotate to define multiple parallel Tplanes for rotary axis applications

Do you use different WCS, Tplanes and Cplanes?

Then in the operation parameters the rotary axis settings. What to set here? I’m just all confused now? I thought I had an understanding of it until actually trying it.

Any info would be a greatly appreciated! smile.gif

hi

If you are just indexing with the rotary, you set in the rotary axis table:

Rotoaion type to- rotary axis positioning

Rotary axis to- rotate about x axis

Then in the t/c plane table you can set the plane for the face the you are working on. If you just want one work offset check the box in the lower left corner and change the -1 to a 1(this will make you wco g55). I hope this helps a bit biggrin.gif

So in the operation parameters set the rotary axis settings there and use the TPlane of the face that is being indexed to? If I understand you right...

Any ideas on changing the post to add M28 and M27 for indexing the B-Axis movements?

This is probably an easy thing to do that I'm making a big deal out of.

Thank you

Use the mpmaster post that is provided on the web site. It has the lock unlock codes built in and is for fanuc controls. It also, lets you lock the work offset to the fist one selected. I have used this post many times an am very impressed with it.

Tplane needs to be defined for an indexing machine in a specific way. You need to pay attention that the coordinate axis' are correctly chosen. 1-rule is that Z needs to point out from the surface. 2nd rule is that either X or Y depending on the machine needs to be alongside the rotary axis.

After that you can program the toolpath.

Now that the coordinate system is correctly chosen the NCI-code for the program has specific vectors defined and it can calculate the indexing angle correctly if post is programmed for indexing axis calculations. Calculations are machine related so a generic post does not necessarily do the job for you. Worth trying tho.

Depending on the machine design there could be plenty of other vital tricks to have the post working for you. Rotary table is typically easy, but rotary spindle may need some customisation.

JH

Brent,

quote:

Indexer is Yuasa that rotates about the X-Axis, B-Axis on machine.

Is this something for only that machine? I thought the B-axis is the rotary of the Y-axis from a VMC perspective (X = A, Y = B, Z = C). The MPFAN post that comes with Mcam should output the index angle if you select or rotate the Tplane for the angle to output correctly. Any post may need to be modified if your axis of rotation is truly "B" for X.

You could also Transform-Rotate the toolpath, using a Cplane where the selected rotation point is centered on the axis of rotation. That's if your toolpath will be the same from one plane to the next. The WCS will not be used if you want to output indexing code. The WCS treats any selected plane as if it is the TOP plane, eliminating any index angles. You can use the "Rotary axis..." button in the operation but it is not necessary to get good index code. Correctly set the Tplane in the operation to produce good code. HTH biggrin.gif

Ok I got a start to it now. But I still have questions. I've uploaded a file called 16-012 det.1.mc9 in the MC9_Files directory on the FTP site. I got two toolpaths it shows correct in verify and backplot but I don't get what I expect when it posts. I using the MPMaster post from the site now.

I'm more then likely just missing one thing easy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brent

Brent:

The X axis on the second face is going the opposite direction of the top face. You need to create a new cplane. I would use the rotate method. Also, turn off the rotory button. I uploaded a file with the -marc on the end. Take a look.

[ 02-17-2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Marc Lindsey at San Diego CAD CAM ]