Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

small milling cutters

Dan Bedore

I just started doing some injection molds with small radius .0625 and small shallow cuts .03125 wide*.015 deep the problem is these cuts are next to 3deg drafted walls .625 tall. where can a guy get .03125 and .0625 dia. ball and flat end mills long enough to cut this? and what would you recommend as a depth of cut and feed rate with a 6000 rpm spindle in 7075 al.? thanks ahead of time.

Can you use tapered endmill to do this job?

That is how I get to some deep pockets on our molds. I hope this helps. MSC has flat and ball tapered end mills. We special order flat tapered endmills with a corner radius to match the mold's radius from Award cutters. I am not at work so I don't have the number. They are usually cheaper than MSC on the flat ones.

Stephen

I know you can buy tapered shank ball and flat endmills. .015 dp doesn't sound like you need much flute length. Grind the shank down a little. Just remember endmills that small are already flimsy and grinding the shank and hanging them out of the holder will make them even more flimsy.

Dan