Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t dnc to haas mini mill

Dan Bedore

Dan are you trying to upload a program or Actually DNC (drip Feed).

If you are trying to drip feed you need to enable DNC in the Paramters then to set it up to get it going in most case of the Haas the setting are

Asci

Even

then the same baud for both.

Then to start the transition you need to on the Haas Hit the MDI button twice then start sending from the computer.

Dan,

Communications to the MiniMill/HAAS Control is pretty straight-forward. The issue is most likely a cable or procedural problem.

Give our Support Department a quick call at 978-728-0014 and they'll be happy to help you out.

NOTE: To DNC or drip-feed to the HAAS control you need to be in DNC mode.

[*]1. Hit the MDI key twice. (3rd button down, 1st button on left)

2. You should now see DNC on the CRT/Screen

3. Hit CYCLE START

4. Start your file transfer from CIMCO Edit (Send)

Also, verify you have the proper flow control setting enabled in CIMCO Edit. With CIMCO Edit running:

[*]1. Go to Trasmission > Setup

2. When the Setup dialog opens select your Port/Machine from the list and hit Setup (bottom right corner of dialog box)

3. With the port Setup dialog open you will see four tabs; Port, Receive, Transmit, Directories, and Version Info. On the Port tab make sure your Flow control is set to Software (or Hardware, depending on your cabling)

There are a number of little things that could be keeping you from a successful DNC transfer. Like I said, give us a call. We would be happy to help.

[ 02-19-2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Anthony Graves ]

Hey there Dan,

Were running a mini-mill here with DNC, and I recently set up our DNC system. The quickest thing to try is make sure that your in xon/xoff mode (setting # 14), and that your modem speeds are matched. If I recall, the mastercam communications sometimes defaults back to 19,200, while I have the mill set to 38,xxx.

If that all checks out, probably the cable...I built my cable here, and found out the diagram that Haas gives you in the manual is inaccurate! Getting into the details here would be a bit lengthy without knowing your current set-up ...however here are the diagrams that I have successfully used on building our cable...

http://www.dncsoftware.com/images/pinout.html

If your still stuck, I'd be happy to chat more. Best of luck!

Dan,

The cable pin-out depends on your host device and the flow control you are using.

You should easily be able to communicate with a decent quality cable at 38400, 7, E, 2, using Xon/Xoff (Software Flow Control).If you are using Software Flow use the Null pin-out.

NOTE1: Software flow control utilizes Pins 2 (Tx) and 3 (Rx) to send flow control signals. Therefore, all you have to do, if you have DB25 to DB25 connections is swap pins 2 and 3, and jumper 4-5 and 6-8-20 on the CNC side. (Jumpers not necessary on PC side) If you are going DB9 (Host/PC Side) to DB25 (CNC Side) you connect 2 to 2, and 3 to 3. Again, that is for software flow.

NOTE2: While you should have no problems running max baud rate to your MiniMill the cable length and quality of the cable can effect your overall transfer distance and max transfer speed. If 38400 isn't working with the above settings try bumping down to 19200. Shouldn't have to, but worth a try if you are still having problems.

Don't hesitate to call us if you need help.

CIMCO Support Department

978-728-0014

URGENT - How to resolve the ground problem correcty.

Running a cable with both "earth" grounds connected can cause serious problems (contact your local electrician and ask them about floating grounds). When a CNC is not properly grounded to Earth Ground you are essentially grounding your CNC off your PC. DO NOT DO THIS. While this may solve communication problems (in this case, noise related) it only invites larger, more costly problems. Here is what you need to do:

At the CNC

Make sure you contact your licensed professional electrician and have them come out and verify or re-ground your CNC. If they have to drive a ground rod 20' into the earth then that's what they need to do. (Ok, I'm exaggerating, but you get my point.) Then, have them physically connect the chassis of the CNC to this ground rod. Grounding accomplished. Move on to the RS232 cable.

RS232 Cable

Connect the drain wire in your RS232 cable to the shell (tin finish, metal portion of your DB25 connector) of the CNC side RS232 connector ONLY. Do not connect the drain wire or Earth Ground at the PC side. This includes switch boxes, intelligent RS232 hardware, or your physical PC serial port. The only ground you should have between the PC and the CNC is the Signal Ground; DB25 Pin 7, DB9 Pin 5.

A proper earth ground at the CNC and properly terminated cables will provide you with a solid RS232 connection between the PC and CNC. Hope this helps.

[ 02-20-2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Anthony Graves ]