Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engraving not verifying

Chris Rizzo

Hey Trevor,

Do you remember my questions about a few baseball bats for my son? well

Z-CORE IT IS!

easton.jpg

We Went to the local sport shop,, He saw,, he swung,, I bought. He Loves it. goes along way towards that confidance factor that you mentioned.

thanks again.

Sorry for jacking this thread, all.

-Keith

Thanks for the input everyone, I figured out what the deal is, but still have some questions...

I'm using an engraving cutter, that comes to a point. For my tool parameters I set "taper mill", 30 degree, tip dia. .001...That was giving me nothing in verify..I changed the tip diameter up to .003, and now I get a reasonable verify.

I've also experimented by selecting tool profile as a spot-drill, or countersink, thinking that both these tools come to a zero tip diameter, and are tapered- Knowing that engraving needs a tapered tool.

I guess my question is- how do you spec a tool with theoretical zero tip diameter? That's what my engraving cutter is after all...

Thanks all.

I use spot drill or counter sink for a base definition. with the agle defined as coming to a point on the tip (end). And the body dia is also defined. Then i offset the path by the radius of the body. That way I can see the tool in backplot(rather than a 0-dia tool) And the angle (if needed) is generated in verify.

HTH

-KLG

Most all engraving tools are ground beyond center, causing a theoretical tip diameter. I wouldnt worry weither that diameter is .001 or .005

In the real world, if you accually need a 0 tip diameter, you would need to custom grind the tool, and I don't imagine it would cut that well.

cmr -

I have my scribe (engraving) tool defined as a Chfr. Mill; Diameter 0.0, Taper Angel 45, Outside Dia .25, Flute Length .50 ... It shows up in varify. I only go -.005 into the top surface of the part. Just setup a big base plate today with assembly end-of-part lines all over to be engraved.

Kathy

Thanks again everyone-

Surface,

I know what your saying about the tip being overground/offset a bit, and your right. However I have yet to find a tool manufacturer that gives that spec. So I was trying to treat it like a .000 tip dia.

Kathy,

I put your exact tool spec's in, and it will run. But if I change the angle to anything other than 45, I get an error-"tool tip diameter cannot be zero".

I think I've got a happy medium running now, Chamfer tool, 15 degree, .125 diameter, .001 tip diameter.

Any other thoughts, feel free to add. Thanks Again!

smile.gif