Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I have asked my Mastercam dealer if he could explain to me what a vb script is and how I could use it Mastercam, but he told me he was not sure himself and didn't want to lead in the wrong direction. Could someone out there help me with this? I will warn you in advance, my computer knowledge is limited so I will need it explained to me in simple terms if you could. I'm just trying to use every tool Mastercam has given me.

Thanks for any help anyone could give me.

VBScript is a scripting language developed by Microsoft. Anyone is able to use this scripting language to automate many tasks in Mastercam such as geometry creation and toolpath generation. VBScript is a scripting language in that it is interpreted and not compiled (like C/C++). Therefore, to write VBScripts for Mastercam, all you need is Mastercam (obviously), a text editor (Ex: Notepad, CIMCO Edit, Mastercam Editor, etc.) and knowledge of VBScript (or Visual Basic or Visual Basic for Applications).

Good start?

VBScript in a Nutshell and the VBScript Programmer's Reference might be good places to start to get yourself familiarized with the syntax. For documentation that's specific to automating Mastercam with VBScript, take a look at Mcam9HelpVBSCRIPT.HTM (McamxHelpVBSCRIPT.HTM if you're using X). You could also search this forum for terms like "VBS", "script", "vbscript" and "vb script"; you'll find a lot of user-submitted code.