Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Visual Basic.NET

I am looking in to taking a Visual basic class. the class that is being offered at a local collage is call 'Programming in Visual Basic.net'.

Does anyone know is there a difference between VB and VB.net? Obviously i dont know much about VB. but i would like to learn so that i know what to do with those neat programs that Bryan314, Mick and Rekd put out here for us.

thanks

Jody

Jody, .net is the new kid. It will probably be more popular than normal VB in that it has better support for internet protocols, (so I'm told, I haven't seen it yet).

It will be worth your while to do it. With it, you will also be able to do normal VB, as well as VBS, with only minor adjustments.

'Rekd

.net is a completely new framework for vb using approximately the same language. The real advantage of .net is it can be used to program everything from a standard windows application to active server pages (web forms). Its error handling capabilities (beyond the on error goto hell of VB 6) are pretty robust, and its well on its way to becomming a true object oriented programming language....if you're looking at starting programming definately go with something in the .net arena.... everything else will shortly go the way of the turbo pascal....just my .02...

quote:

BTW,

Who on the forum has had the priviledge to program with Borland Turbo Pascal v3. ?

I believe that version was before I was born, but I"ve had the immense please of GW Basic, TP, and Visual Basic since about version 3.0....Trying to learn .net has been a completely new experience....i'm still trying to accomplish in .net what I used to do in version 6 after two months.....all of Turbo Pascal took me two weeks to learn...

I guess it would be appropriate to say that I'm one of those engineer computer programming types that kind of slid into a programming job...