Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C Programming

Hello All.

I've recently seen alot of threads containing subjects on C programming. Lately I have become more serious about pursuing this area further. I have a little bit of VB experience, but nothing to brag about. This may be a dumb question, but I always see just plain 'C' and there is also Visual C++.

could someone tell me which of the above would be the best one to pursue. Please excuse my ignorance.

Chris

You can develop C-Hooks without using C++ i.e. strictly using "C", (in fact most of the C-Hooks out there are written in C) but this limits you somewhat in the area of interface development. Microsoft Visual C/C++ has lots of tools to make this easier.

Also, there is talk in this forum about "Visual" C and C++. Remember that "Visual C/C++" is not a language in itself, but it is a Microsoft product that is a complete development environment. It is the software we use to build Mastercam, and iw what we recommend for C-Hook developers. I have heard that it's possible (but not simple) to develop C-Hooks using Borland C/C++, and we do not support that.

It is a little tricky using Borland tools to develop C-Hooks. This is mostly because of different naming conventions for project options and settings between Microsoft and Borland environments. I have managed to get something work with Borland C++ 5.02. In my spare time, I'm working on getting a Borland C++ Builder 3 test project (with UI) working, but to no avail yet. Syntax is not really an issue since Borland's implementation of C/C++ is slightly more ANSI complient. Either way, it's probably safer to stick with MS Visual C++ since that's what Mastercam is developped with. Anybody play with the Visual Studio.NET beta yet?

[This message has been edited by Bullines (edited 02-09-2001).]

If you want to learn Visual C++ syntax only, I recommend "Practical Visual C++ 6". You'll learn a little bit of C++ but it'll focus primarily on building Windows apps using MFC. If you prefer to learn ANSI compliant C++ itself, go to the Bjarne Stroustrup's website (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html); he lists his books. As far as programming goes, "The Art of Computer Programming" is the computer science bible. Good luck!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The best resource for programming can be found at http://www.wrox.com . I found a C++ Book called "Beginning C++ - The Complete Language" written by Ivor Horton. I found this book to be an invaliuable resource. It has actually helped me with my Post Processor writing as well.

JMHO

James Meyette

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 02-13-2001).]

OOPS, sorry about the typo folks.

James Meyette

[This message has been edited by James Meyette (edited 02-13-2001).]

Visual C++ is Microsoft's C/C++ development environment. You can use C and C++ syntax. Visual Basic is a RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool. It's native language is a modified version of Basic.

All of the header files that come with the Mastercam SDK are C header files. That means that they can be included in a C project or C++ project (using "extern"). Including these headers in a Visual Basic project is not an option. In theory, if the header files were built as DLLs, then you may be able to use VB for C-Hooks...in theory. It would probably be a HUGE pain to this, however.