Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

building a fireplace

Trevor Bailey

for fun, i am trying to model a fireplace. i have two vertical columns. i picked a mythic animal from the ART library to start with. what i would like to do, wrap the animal around the columns and have the protrusions be "normal" to the skin of the columns. i have tried a few ways to do this, but i would like some other suggestions.

below is a pic. i used xform-roll to start with "wrapping" the 2d geo. i then used organic surface, then tried the ART wrap, etc....

hopefully someone else can offer some suggestions.

fireplace.jpg

wrapping will get you close, but you will need seperate files for each section(vertical leg). the OPTIMUM usage would be to import the file i showed in the pic and have the geo created normal to the STL(art surface).

could you maybe hit up iven and see how hard it would be to add this in?

along the bottom of the mantel also. any flat edge that runs the length of the mantel. it would be a useful tool there also.

Hi Trevor,

Art is not made to truly project normal to surfaces, but it does a pretty good job if you don't wrap it too aggressively. One trick I would suggest as I look at your image is to increase you Base Height in the organic dialog, that will give definition to the edge of the fish that is fading out.

Also for something like this I would maybe model it in solids and the STL out, then STL into Art and apply the detail.

As you would build this in separate pieces you could create the columns as separate art base surfaces, using unwrapped rectangle, this would allow you to create normal surfaces, then you would use the wrap simulation option to show it. This would then be cut on a 4th axis.

Ke Wang has some examples and knowlege in this area, give him a call.

Ive