Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Directory name CRASHES mc

Andy

Heres 's a new one for me.

I made long directory (Folder) name for a customer that was: "PLASTIC SPECIAL BURNER THREAD BIGGER", for the mc8, nci, nc files.

Big mistake!

When I posted the toolpath MC Crashed:

"Lathe8 has caused an error in Lathe8 will now close. If continues re-boot"

and it took me out of the program.

It Gets Worse:

I restarted MC and immediately got the same message and could no longer get into the MC program! Thats nice.

1.5 hours later, after trying ALL things, I edited lathe8.cfg by making the default directory (folder) name smaller (to a one word name),in 3 different places. Cured the problem. I still dont know why I even thought to try that.

So my question is: Does MC have a limit on directory name length?

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

Yes we have a limit, 512, so you're not hitting that. We did clear up a similar problem for V8.1 that one of our German dealers reported that had to do with automatically running the editor after posting a file with a long name. The 1st thing I would try is turning off the 'Edit' checkboxes in the Post Dialog. If that still crashes, not knowing anything else about your system (particularly what Post you're using) I'd recommend sending the part and other information to your dealer who should be running V8.1 by now (it's in the mass distribution process right now) and he/she can check it out.

• 1 year later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ditto Jay and PDG, I'm running Win2k ay home and WinNT at work and can't replicate it. I use long names all the time especially fixtures. Here's a sample path from my work computer.

d:projects4flighttoolingmql1500 rotary table tombstone and gridplate.mc9

You may want to try using "_" or "-" between the names and DO NOT use the following characters " < , > . ? / ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) + = | ' : ; { [ } ] ~ or `

JM2C

Mastercam itself doesn't seem to have Long File Name problems, but some of the c-hooks and editors don't always like them (leftover code from the v5 days). I've found that using spaces in the DIRECTORY names can be an issue. File names seem to be fine. Unmapped network paths (servermastercammc8filesfile.mc8) seem to be OK now, but I still try to avoid them as well (Mastercam does still have an occasional network timeout issue though). I always try to use an _ instead of a space in my paths and will probably continue to do so until the v10 rewrite.

In general you can get away with spaces in directory names with any program if you include everything quotes.

i.e.

"c:program filesCustomer partsJob nofile name"

Some programs will look at the first space and try to make the rest of the line into a filename - it won't succeed.

Craig Madsen

[email protected]

1. Create a folder direct under the MC9 folder from the Save dialog.

2. rename it to something with many characters (20-30)

3. Open that folder.

4. Repeat 1,2,3 a few times.

This crashes Mastercam V9 in Windows 2000 Swedish version. Since this happens from the save dialog this is serious. I've tried it on several computers with Win2000 with the same result.

The same procedure in Mcam8 results in not being able to rename the folder after a repeating step 1,2,3 a few times.

Note: This happens after about 70 chars in the complete filename.

[ 03-18-2002, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: zion22 ]