Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OpenGL performance

Mark Mossberg

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ok Mark,

I opened the most complex model I have. 366 Solids. Rotary Table, Grid Plate, Bushings, Threaded Inserts, 2 VIses (with all the pieces), Clamping Hardware, Washers, Capscrews, etc...

V9.0 SP1 = 11 Seconds

V9.1 = 11 Seconds

My system specs are as follows;

OS - WinNT 4.0

Service Pack - 6

CPU - AMD K7 - 1200

RAM- 512MB

Video Card- Matrox Millenium G450

Allocations

I've not noticed any system degredation at all. I've actually seen some improvements in speed between 9.0 SP1 and V9.1

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ok, you caught me. Same file in V8.1.1 - 17 seconds of 35% LONGER for V8.1.1

In conclusion, I'm sssing the exact opposite you are.

SOrry I could not be of more help.

James,

Thanks for the reply,

The "only" area I'm experiencing performance problems is hardware aceelerated OpenGL, (shaded display). All other areas seem to be as fast or faster than 8.1.1, (especially solid verify).

All of my design work is done in Solidworks 2001+ or 2003. I use Parasoild for file transfer and prefer working with shaded solids

I use a Magellan Space Mouse to navigate around my models, and there is a noticable difference in graphics performance between the two versions. The same model will spin like a top in ver 8.1.1, and ratchet around in 9.1.

System specs.

Duall PIII Xeon 733 (1mb level 1 cache)

512 mb RAM

Oxygen GVX1

Win 2k SP2

Don't know whether you'd notice with a Matrox G450. It doesn't really support hardware OpenGL. I think it may use direct X.

Mark

To all,

First of all, I miss-spoke on this system config.. Im using NT40 SP6a, not Win2000.

If others using this O.S. are experiencing similar problems, here's the fix.

Delete opengl32.dll and glu32.dll from the Mastercam 9.1 root directory. These files drive OpenGL hardware accelleration. Mastercam sets itself up to use these by default. They aren't compatible with NT4.

When you delete them NT will use I'ts own components located in the system32 directory.

In my messing around, I've also uncovered a fairly serious problem with the uninstall of 9.1. I'll be posting a seperate thread about it. (if there's not already one out there)

Thanks guys

Mark