Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-angle workpiece holding

How does everyone hold a workpiece in a 3-axis mill that needs to have cuts at varying angles in it? I'm trying to design a product that has 4 half-inch slots cut in it at different angles from 40 to 80 degrees. Made out of aluminum, around an inch thick, and about 6"x6" in size. The slots would be about a half inch deep vertically, with a flat bottom.

My problem is that I don't have an easy way to hold the thing solidly, and still be able to adjust the angles enough to cut the slots.

I know there are vises that have three-way angle adjustment, but to get one that opens far enough gets kind of pricey.

Any suggestions?

How does everyone hold a workpiece in a 3-axis mill that needs to have cuts at varying angles in it? I'm trying to design a product that has 4 half-inch slots cut in it at different angles from 40 to 80 degrees. Made out of aluminum, around an inch thick, and about 6"x6" in size. The slots would be about a half inch deep vertically, with a flat bottom.

My problem is that I don't have an easy way to hold the thing solidly, and still be able to adjust the angles enough to cut the slots.

I know there are vises that have three-way angle adjustment, but to get one that opens far enough gets kind of pricey.

Any suggestions?

If the parts are not too big, you can make a fixture from a block of aluminum with different angles on the bottom. Hold the fixture in a vise and loosen to set to different angles. With a stop and different work offsets, this will work in a pinch.