Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

threadmilling 1"-11 1/2 npt

steveo25

I am threadmilling a 1"-11 1/2 npt thread in a part that is .735" thick. I have a kennametal thread mill with a 11 1/2 pitch thread mill insert. It is not a single point insert. The insert looks like it is sitting at an angle. I was wondering if some one could give me an idea on the correct way of doing this. I have played around with the thread mill option in mastercam but have never ran a part with it. I created my tool and that turned out good. In the thread angle I have 1.7899 degrees but on the number of active teeth should I put 1 or 11. Does any one have any good tips for me. I am running x2 and this is on a fanuc controller vertical 3 axis mill.

Thanks in advance

I personally don't like using an arc, I like to use a point.

I prefer to use arcs with circle toolpaths because the toolpath takes its size from the arc.

There is no chance of forgetting to enter a diameter value or entering the wrong value.

If the arc is the right size, the toolpath will be the right size.

an added advantage is you can do multiple arcs of different sizes all in one toolpath.

If you use points, you are restricted to one size... and you must enter it correctly in the toolpath parameters

I prefer to use arcs with circle toolpaths because the toolpath takes its size from the arc.

There is no chance of forgetting to enter a diameter value or entering the wrong value.

If the arc is the right size, the toolpath will be the right size.

an added advantage is you can do multiple arcs of different sizes all in one toolpath.

If you use points, you are restricted to one size... and you must enter it correctly in the toolpath parameters

I just don't like having to draw all my arcs, and our customer models are not always correct when it comes to tapered threads. We rarely, if ever, have more than 1 port that is the same thread pitch and a different size.