Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nvidia New Fermi based Quadro 600 and 2000 graphics cards

Verndog

They've been out near a month now and I haven't heard much about them (in the Cad world). The Quadro 2000 replaces the FX1800 and is 150% the speed, and the 600 replaces the FX580 and is 200% the speed. The 600 can be found for $169.00 and sounds like it is now even faster then the old FX1800 that was over $400.00. Much of what is realized in gains is in how well supported drivers are so I thought I'd ask before giving one a try. Is anyone running these new cards...impressions??

Fermi Based card review

The only problem with the new Nvidia GPUs is the heat. They cook like no other just idling! If you're gonna purchase one, hold off for a bit.

Are you sure that is not more on the higher end cards? Reason I ask is the Quadro 600 only draws 40w of power and 60 for the 2000 IIRC...and power = heat.

My FX580 runs at 47c max on average (116.6F), not bad at all.

It's a manufacturing problem with the fermi chipset. In reality it doesn't matter much but nvidia should solve the heat issues soon.

Link related but is with the 480 gforce.

How to cook eggs on fermi

Wow...a little toast with those eggs? 2 things though, that article is 6 months old, and I've heard nothing about this problem in the reviews I've read. And that problem is with dual monitors which I prefer a single 24" ultrasharp. So, maybe I'll give the new 600 a try for my home I7 machine, I've got 4 fans in it and OCed it idles at 32c. I have speedfan app to monitor all temps.

Full Comparo of all the new Cards: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/11761/Product-Comparison-Oct2010.pdf

We tested the new 2000 on the benchmark file last week and got 11min flat verify on this PC: Intel W3503, Xeon Dual Core, 2.4 Ghz, 1333 Mhz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache w. 4GB of RAM. Similar to our time with an FX3800 but it uses less power (62w vs 108w).

Temps seemed fine after the test as well, but I didn't log them. Seems the Fermi heat issues are more on GeForce cards.

Well I got a Fermi based Quadro 600 in today and ran some comparisons to the previous equivalent FX-580. The difference in speed and graphics quality is pretty big. Just in verification I took a large file and ran on both with the same settings and FX-580 was 6min. 42 secs and the Quadro 600 was 4 min. 59 secs. that works out to +35% just in verify. Also the updated driver adds a switch for antialiasing line gamma that helps trimming and line disappearing (better but not perfect). With the 580 when I first use the spaceball there was a very brief stutter then it was smooth, the new 600 took care of that completely...stutter free even with tighter antialiasing settings that turns the line geo into perfect lines and removes the jaggies from lower or no overide settings. For $160.00 this is a great upgrade for a home machine or even a work machine the deals with 20meg or so and under file size (test file was 43 megs and ran flawless). Heat and power...is LESS with the new Fermi 600. I ran a high of 58c under heavy use with normals around 47 with FX580. With the 600 I hit a high of 54 and normal use around 42C (on single Dell 24" ultrasharp). Size...this thing is SMALL! I thought I got ripped until I saw results. Its 1/2 height (much smaller then the 580) and is rated the top buy for power to performance ratio. Also the memery on 580 was 512 meg and the 600 is 1 gig. FWIW Win 7 rating went from 6.4 on both (aero and gaming) to 6.6 on both. Not a huge jump but their rating is heavily weighted to Aero and 3-D gaming which this card is not really designed for. IIRC the FX-1800 at $440.00 prior was 6.7 win 7 rating just to compare. Great buy IMO! B)