Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 shared Folder

astrocncdept

Is there a way I can move my x5 shared folders onto a server location so that two pcs can access the same machine deffs, control deff, tool libaries, etc? I want to avoid the chance of having two different machine def one two seperate machines. I am already storing all the MCX files on a common location I just want to make the Shared information the same way.

Do like gcode said. You should also go to the Files section within the Settings/Config. In there set all the proper Data Paths and File Usage Paths. You will find it easier to maintain if you keep "common" files in folders of the same name as you have on your C drive, just put them all inside a folder called Shared Resources (or whatever you like). You can even customize various files for individual preferences, just give them different names. Keep your indivdual user config files there too. Then you can use either station with YOUR preferences (menus, colors, etc.) Files that should be maintained by one person only are tool libraries, material libraries, machine defs, and posts. You may have a few hiccups when you first try to set it up, but once you get there, you will never look back.

I have had some minor issues with moving the User and Shared folders to a network location. After I move files to the network location I change many of the custom file locations to match where they are stored on my network. I have had 5 revert back to the C: location after I have changed them and opened the config and re-saved. The 5 I have seem are the batch, Regen, VB scripts, Formuls and FBM locations. I have not figured out what is causing them to revert back but it seems consistent across the 4 seats I have installed.

A suggestion to CNC is to pick the User and Shared locations at install.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?