Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CUTTING SLOTS/GROOVES IN 718 INCONEL

I have to cut a slot that is .060" wide and .100" deep in the end of .375" diameter 718 inconel heat treated bar stock. Does anyone have any ideas on cutters? The manager already ordered .500" diameter x 1/16" cobalt woodruff keyseat cutters with 12 teeth. Will this work? What kind of feeds and speeds? We also have to cut two grooves .045" wide and .030" deep at 1.500" long. These grooves are cutting into threads at the depth of the threads. The manager also ordered concave style slot cutters that are 3" diameter x 3/64" with 35 teeth. Will this work? Speeds and feeds? We mill inconel here quite often but have never turned it or slot cut it before. So I am familiar with the characteristics of it. I am just hoping maybe someone on here has cut slots in this stuff and can steer me in the right direction. Any help is much appriciated. Thanks

OOPS... just realized that the 3.00" saw is HSS. Is this going to be ok?

No way... You'll burn it up in no time. Cobalt or carbide is what you'll need.

Also, my apologies, but the speeds and feeds that I gave you earlier are for carbide tooling. For cobalt you should be around 20 SFM to start with. The chip load of .0005 should be fine. I'm sorry if it caused you any problems, but hopefully I got you the right anser in time.