Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT / Symbolic FAPT Turn

Brent Wilkerson

Is anyone using/used Symbolic FAPT Turn? We got a hand-me-down Okuma-Howa lathe with a Fanuc 10TF controller using FAPT conversational programming on it. We have ordered Fanuc books for FAPT and the normal oper manuals. And we are still having some problems we have just I think real basic questions.

We tried using normal straight G-Code and the tools have a memorized position for offset, index position and other weird things happen. The is no Geo Offsets, Wear Offsets, Work Offset or work shift but yet it still knows something for locations being we start a simple OD turn and it moves to some way off position and dist. to go is a mile and half off!

We started trying to figure out the FAPT instead, for now, and we are still lost. We have the Oper book for it and they do not describe enough detail on what the controller is prompting for. Such as dividing direction, virt. tool position and others.

We'd like to dump all the tool data out of it and start from stratch. Really we'd like to program with MC or maybe the FAPT could be used, but it's just easier through MC.

If anyone could throw some info this way we'd appreciate it.

Thanks cheers.gif

FAPT = Mazatrol Lite...

There should be a way to get back into the G-Code mode. Look for a button like PMC/CNC or similar. This softkey will be the way out.

If you have gotten this machine from a used machine dealear, they may have an appications guy that could help. Mammen machinery in Illinois has helped me in the past.

quote:

Look for a button like PMC/CNC or similar

Very close, Andrew; its PC/NC

Brent, we have an Okuma Howa ACT4 lathe with a Fanuc 10T and FAPT. The machine runs really well for us using regular EIA code. We used FAPT (not me, but one of our senior guys) on the machine when we first got it so if you really want to use it I can ask him if he'll help us. We don't use FAPT now because its a pain in the butt to try to program and run the machine at the same time!

When you power up the machine you will get the screen that says "FAPT" in big, Atari-looking letters. If you push the NC/PC button you should get the "normal" Fanuc interface which should allow you to run the machine normally. Make sure you Zero Return the X and Z axis before you start!

We use G50 / G27 to run our machine. I'm going to email you a program right now; maybe you can load it in your machine and see what it does.

C

Brent

We have the same machine in our shop and have used both fapt and mcam to program it.When we bought our machine we were talked in to not buying alot of options on the control because they said that fapt would do it all.So as a result we dont have alot of canned cycles and have to use long hand to program in mcam.If you hit theNC/PC and dont see an offset soft key try the extreem left soft key until it does.If it doesn't mabey there is a parameter not set properly.We lost all of our parameters one day due to a backup battery failure and it took a long time to get back to where we were.Hopefuly this helps a bit.Fapt can be a pain in the xxxx to program at the best of times I think mcam is the way to go.Let us know if you figure it out or have any more questions.

Noel

Thanks for all the info and the file Chris. One of the toolroom guys is trying to get the FAPT part to work as I'm looking for info on doing the MC way.

quote:

..we have an Okuma Howa ACT4 lathe with a Fanuc 10T and FAPT.

Ours is a ACT5L, a big monster, well for us. We got the machine from one of our plants in Ga. that we closed. No help from down south being all the people were laid off. Kinda sad, but what are you going to do. Anyways, we are not sure they even used it, or used it right. They also could of tried to wreck it/rig it..who knows.

But with none of us use to using this FAPT programming it's kind of a task. We did contact a rep for our other machines, he did some name dropping and one rep suggested contacting Okuma-Howa and see about get the default/orignal parameters and punch them in. I think we'd like to try to dump all the data from it and try to start from stratch. We don't understand where the tool data goes too. If we could just dump the data for the tools, offsets and index position we'd more than likely not use the FAPT pro'g.

Well thanks for now, helpfully we get through this soon. cheers.gif

Why is this?

In MDI you index to a tool and it moves off the home position. We index to T1212; and it wants to move to the center of the chuck in X and Z. It begins to move and indexes on the way. This does this for each tool. They move to some position and index on the way there. Chris is this how your OH machine works?

We undefined all the tools in the tool data think it's in there but there is still some parameter or setting for each tool pocket or something.

I think once we clear this data out then we can use MC to program.

cheers.gif

Brent

No our machine does not work that way currently; that sounds pretty unusual. I don't know if you found the work shift offsets yet but if you haven't, put the machine in manual mode, hit the "offset" softkey, "chapter" softkey, "work zero" soft key and there they are.

Look in "settings" as well, there may be a couple options in there you want to change; did you get that info I sent you on CNC Systems?

C

Chris I did receive the info you set.

The work shift offsets are all set to zeros. we did contact O-H for machine manuals and some basic info, I think it was out of Chicago.

What post do you use in MC? Do you use the generic 2 axis Fanuc or the O-H post proc.? We use the generic 2-axis Fanuc post on some other lathes already.

Okuma-Howa should be able to help you guys out.

We are using MPLFAN for a post right now and pasting the geometry data into manually formatted programs; we're in the process of tweaking it to where it'll spit code just like our manual formats but we're not there yet.

[ 04-22-2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Well we've given up....we called an O.H. rep.

No luck using the FAPT programming or normal G-code programming...it is just all f'd up. The machine just does very odd things. You change offsets, work offsets or work shifts it still moves where it wants to go. We are thinking the machine was messed up on purpose before we got.

So hopefully after next Monday, the day the service guy comes, we'll be making chips and the machine will go where it's programmed too.

Thanks for all the help and info. cheers.gif

Well we had an Okuma-Howa service rep come in and fix/edit the parameters on the NC and FAPT side. He changed how the FAPT generates NC code, to use the Geo. offsets, work shift and dropped the G50X???Y???? lines. So we can now program with the FAPT and should be able to program NC or from MCAM. But I have one slight problem now.

quote:

..we have an Okuma Howa ACT4 lathe with a Fanuc 10T and FAPT. The machine runs really well for us.. / ..We are using MPLFAN for a post right now and pasting the geometry data into manually formatted programs../

Chris,

You are using the MPLFAN. I plan on trying to start with the MPL_EZ post. The question I have does your ACT4 have a spindle shifter M23,M24 or M25 code(s)? Ours needs a M23 for 20-730rpm or a M25 for 80-2200RPM before a G96 or G97.

Would this or could this be put in as a Misc. Value? If so how...this is alittle over my post editing ability. Or I can call our MC rep. but usually it's seems like pulling teeth for help. Usually I figure out the problem(s) I have, or find the answer here, before he calls back asking for cash for post editing/help or tells me to RTFM!

cheers.gif

Brent

I'm not sure if it's cool to share posts on the forum or not but we have an act 5 with a 10 t control in our shop and our post works reasonably well.I'd be more than willing to send you a copy it has some hard coding for tool change position and i'm not sure what else as I have been off the lathes for a while.Let me know.

cheers.gif Noel

As long as it is your post (not one your boss bought or something), I don't think anyone will mind. I already sent him the one that we developed for our ACT4 using MPLFAN; it is a work in progress but it'll give him something to look at.

If you don't mind I'd love to look at yours, maybe it'll give me some ideas

I'll show you mine if you show me yours... rolleyes.gif

[ 04-29-2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

I have made some changes to the one Chris sent me, but I'd be interested in seeing what you have too. Between what Chris sent and the changes I made it's pretty much dialed in now. The O.H. tech rep. was in Monday and changed a butt-load of parameters on the FAPT side and a few on the NC side. The FAPT programming is easy to understand now, being it posts the code to what you'd except, the machine moves where you except too, etc.

If you'd be up to sharing the post we'd appreciate it. I don't see the problem with sharing posts, considering most the people here have modified their own posts. Unless your business bought the post. I'm not a post pro be any means, but our MC rep. is nearly useless. So I try to do it myself first then ask for help smile.gif

Brent i'll fire you off a copy tommorow via email.I don't do lathe anymore but any questions about the post and I can ask our lathe guy.Did the O&H repair guy show you wehere the two sets of back-up batteries are.I lost all of my parameters once due to a battery failure.

cheers.gif Noel

[ 04-29-2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: noel sevigny ]

Yes, I found both sets. We changed the batt's in the Fanuc control cabinet, we even followed the direction so we would not wipe everything out! smile.gif

And the other set of batt's is a cheap quick patch job. They had just soldered three AAA batt's together! We are going to get some kind of replacement pack for it.

Thanks in advance!

cheers.gif