Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

End mill testing procedures

Code_Breaker

I want to test different machining methods, compare cutters, etc. for ruffing pockets in aluminum ...

I will be monitoring the procedure ... BUT, my questions is "Does anyone have processes or produres already designed for testing?"

For example:

1) Use a stop watch to exact timing

2) Compute Chip load, volume remaovel, etc.

3) Different pocketing methods

4) Carbides vs. Indexables

5) ramping walls vs. side milling walls

etc.

Any input??????

I find the estimated times in backplot are close enough. When testing dynamic milling I started with similar settings as on the chart from this site, reduced the overlap and feed, and tried it, worked very well first try, I increased the overlap, and feed from there, and used backplot to estimate time saved. I have always used indexable cutters in the past, until dynamic milling, now I use nothing but solid carbide endmills with dymanic milling paths. If you could find a good inserted endmill with a long flute length it may work good for this application.

Yes, backplot times are a great way to get a "feel" for testing. They should, at least, be close to actual machine run time. It does allow you to compare time estimates between toolpaths to see which ones will be faster. I do a lot of surfacing and also use the size of the code to help me judge speed of a toolpath. Filtering out small line segments, for me anyhow, and replacing with arcs where possible makes for a smaller toolpath, which usually always means quicker run time.

Thanks, but this is not quite what I am looking for ...

I will have representatives from upper management, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter watching the demonstration ...

I would like to say, as Hannibal Smith would say, "I love it when a plan comes together." I don't want to fly by the seat of my pants (hey, did I make a funny? aereospace ... fly ... :lol: )

I have a month to put this together ... practice, practice, practice ...

I want to test different machining methods, compare cutters, etc. for ruffing pockets in aluminum ...

I will be monitoring the procedure ... BUT, my questions is "Does anyone have processes or produres already designed for testing?"

For example:

1) Use a stop watch to exact timing

2) Compute Chip load, volume remaovel, etc.

3) Different pocketing methods

4) Carbides vs. Indexables

5) ramping walls vs. side milling walls

etc.

Any input??????

Sounds like an exceptionally challenging test, because there are so many variables. Are you just trying to figure out the best pocket method for a particular machine, or for all of your aluminum pocket roughing?

Do you want to test tools against each other, or are you looking to test toolpath types, or maybe both?

What is this demo supposed to showcase? You mentioned a presentation, what are you trying to show off?

For a high volume of metal removal, I use solid carbide endmills with the Dynamic Pocket toolpath. I try and stay away from indexable carbide cutters in Aluminum. The cost of the tool is high, and I find them to be less versital than a good extended carbide solid tool. Also, by using a dynamic milling approach (small radial engagement, 2:1 depth to dia) you can get a great MRR.

What kind of machine? What are the max feedrates in all axes? What kind of tool holders and what is the max rpm? All of that plays into it.