Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fadal Questions..

delete

Hi Guy's

I have a row of fadals here, let's see...

1) Is there an X,Y location from Home (Where the arrows line up from a return home for power off) So that I can write it down and then go back to it in the future like X 22.1262 Y -18.3257

Jog to it then zero it out, 60" table and I toggle between set up's but I have been re picking up each one as I need it.

Or when I pick up my second origin I can zero out my X and Y in a G 55 somewhere ?

2) Is there a way to see my tool's Z like if I am .010 over my work piece the readout says .010 Not -22.1156 ?

3) DNC / "Running out of memory" I can easily run out of memory with the mighty CNCHS88 controller's buffer or loaded program.

Can I DNC from the H.D. or whatever the "Library" is,also can that memory be upgraded ?

4) Dog leg moves, Can I turn that off ? the shortest move first then the longest to the next postion move?

Thanks !

Tony

1) Is there an X,Y location from Home (Where the arrows line up from a return home for power off) So that I can write it down and then go back to it in the future like X 22.1262 Y -18.3257

Jog to it then zero it out, 60" table and I toggle between set up's but I have been re picking up each one as I need it.

Or when I pick up my second origin I can zero out my X and Y in a G 55 somewhere ?

Never "Zero" the machine at location other than "Cold Start".

Use fixture offsets to set part location.

1. You always want to cold start your fadal at the cold start position. That is the position where the slides line up for X,Y,Z and A,B if you have 4th or 5th axis. Line up the slides then go to the command mode and type CS then press enter. Now you have cold started the machine properly. Once you do this you can always go back to the cold start postion from any postion by using the following commands:

Type SETCS then press enter

Type HO then press enter

This will send the machine home.

It's important that you use fixture offsets for your part zeros. You can have up to 48 different fixture offsets at any given time. Dont use the SETX SETY commands instead set your part zeros using fixture offsets.

E1 = G54

E2 = G55

E3 = G56

You can use either E1 or G54 in your NC program. If you want to call me I can walk you through then entire setup process for your fadals. It's easier for me to explain over the phone. Shoot me an email and I'll give you my cell number.

Never "Zero" the machine at location other than "Cold Start".

That's not quite accurate.

Many Time it is necessary to modify the Cold Start Position (Machine Home)

in order to achieve the necessary clearances for tool changes.

Fadal made it very easy to modify the CS position for this very reason.

This was one of the best features of a Fadal.

It's the equivalent of a G30 or G31.

The Default CS position established by lining up the hash marks.

2. Yes, if you use an MDI command like G43 H1 Z2.0 the machine will position there when you execute it then you can jog around with the correct tool height displayed.

FYI, You need to be in G90 Mode for this to work correctly.

That's not quite accurate.

Many Time it is necessary to modify the Cold Start Position (Machine Home)

in order to achieve the necessary clearances for tool changes.

That is somewhat misleading.....

Cold start should NEVER be done other than the cold start position (markers aligned)!!

You are talking about the "second home" position (HO command), which may or may not be the same as CS position..

That is done by SETX, SETY, SETZ, commands, and creates an additional home position than the CS position.

SETCS - reverts to the cold start coordinate position. once done, you need to re-cold start the machine to be prompted to return to the "last" (second home) HO position coordinate system.

Fadal made it very easy to modify the CS position for this very reason.

This was one of the best features of a Fadal.

It's the equivalent of a G30 or G31.

The second home does not modify the CS, but is an entirely different coordinate system altogether.

The work offsets (E1-24, G54, G55 etc..) come from the "active coordinate system, whether it be CS or HO that is active.

HTH

Memory can be upgraded but the best all-around I think is the USB retrofit from Calmotion. I have a 4020 with 42k of memory but the usb gives you unlimited memory. It basically acts like dnc off a computer but it uses the usb instead. The only drag is you need to go through and strip the comments out of your code but that's no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Memory can be upgraded but the best all-around I think is the USB retrofit from Calmotion. I have a 4020 with 42k of memory but the usb gives you unlimited memory. It basically acts like dnc off a computer but it uses the usb instead. The only drag is you need to go through and strip the comments out of your code but that's no big deal.

We have the same Calmotion usb retro here also. Works great for transfering and DNC. The problem I have is I can't DNC if using sub programs. We have a 5th axis and do turbine wheels for turbo chargers on it. The programs even when using subs are 8mb and up. We have 6mb upgrade in the control. Hawley have you tried using subs with your Calmotion?