Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Matsuura MC – 600V

How does a Matsuura MC compare to the disposable HAAS/Fadal type machines? We're sourcing a new vendor with half a dozen of them and we're not familiar with them.

Thanks in advance!

Matt,

In my experience if the Matsuura has been even reasonably maintained, it's accuracy will far outpace the Haas or Fadal.

IIRC that is a box way machine, tough and rugged as well.

What controller? Anything older than an Yasnac I-80 I would not look at them. However, the I-80 is a very good rock solid control. Downside is that they are limited on memory and high speed toolpaths will choke it up.

We have on that we have been running for something like 12 years. Only problem...and the only problem I can remember is that a spindle bearing froze up. Fortunately...8000RPM spindles are not so picky...it is possible to do them yourself. This machine still runs a ballbar test with less than .0004 error. Not bad at all......

• Like 1

Matsuura makes one of the finest quality machines in the world, in my opinion. We had several at my last shop that were rock solid and we have [2] currently in-house here with [1] due in next month. One of the machines we have here is a 1981 MC-760V that has run hundreds of thousands of pieces and still won't even move an indicator needle if you run the Z up and down on a precision angle. Fantastic machines, in my opinion.

C

• 3 months later...

OK, since this thread got bumped up I'll chime in again. We got our V.Plus-550 in and set up and ran it off after a few abortive starts; I don't want to give the official word until next week, but I think we're in good shape. NOT a fan of the Fanuc 30i thus far, but I am really not a Fanuc fan to begin with so that's not a huge surprise; OSP all the way baby.

C

We have volume parts that require [3] to [6] holes to be machined with .00078 True Position, Regardless of Feature Size, to a pre-existing datum feature; as part of machine acceptance we require that the parts be produced within .0004 TP, RFS. This is, obviously, a pretty tall order, so it takes a little time to get it right.

C

We have volume parts that require [3] to [6] holes to be machined with .00078 True Position, Regardless of Feature Size, to a pre-existing datum feature; as part of machine acceptance we require that the parts be produced within .0004 TP, RFS. This is, obviously, a pretty tall order, so it takes a little time to get it right.

C

Uggh, just the thought of it makes my head hurt. Just do it on a bridgeport :D

C

Hey Chris, just out of curiosity what machining process are you using to make these holes? and the diameter? If you can share.

I think that level of positioning accuracy is a stretch for almost any machine. Putting the holes in good to one another is only part of the deal; correctly finding the datum feature on the part and shifting the WOFS zero correctly time after time is very challenging for the machine because you cannot uni-directionally position when probing a round feature (among other problems). Our machine has XY scales, .00001" feedback, active thermal comp, pitch error comp, etc, and the process is still very demanding for the machine.

C