Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Charmilles 4030SI Wire EDM

88Matt

I need to set-up the z axis on our 4030si wire and can only find some of the info. I know the HCA (dist. from table to top guide) is off but don't know how to get an accurate measuremet because it goes to the "pivot point" in the upper guide. I found the info for setting the ZID and it assumes you already know the HCA.

Any help before is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I need to set-up the z axis on our 4030si wire and can only find some of the info. I know the HCA (dist. from table to top guide) is off but don't know how to get an accurate measuremet because it goes to the "pivot point" in the upper guide. I found the info for setting the ZID and it assumes you already know the HCA.

Any help before is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can you determine it empirically by taking a test cut at a programmed angle and calculating the cosine error based on the angle error?

Matt, I'm not familiar too much with the Charmilles but with the Fanuc wires each guide is unique and you are given a set of numbers that come with each guide and that number is used with the numbers determined in your taper procedures. If Charmilles are not like that i would think there is some type of block supplied with the machine and a program is run that determines all your settings. Do you not have a manual that documents the correct procedure to do this. Its been 4 months since I ran a wire.

I have been running Charmilles for years now. I cut tapers usually only a couple times a year on them. There was a lightning surge last year that took out the video on the mobo and it had to be sent out for repair. After many months of waiting, we finally got it back this month. I went through all my checks and adjustment I know and it is cutting 2d stuff great. However when I went to cut a 10 degree taper last week it was only 8 degrees and almost .100 off on the W plane. I sent the head to Z 6in. and the head is higher than it should be. I should not be able to fit a scale under the head but I have about .500in. gap. I have a feeling this is one of those factory tech proceedures that they don't document in the manual and the HCA set by the factory has been corrupted.

I have the manuals and block. The block thickness is the ZB measurement. The ZID is the distance from the lower guide to the table. The HCA is the distance from the table to the upper guide. You have to tell it the ZB & HCA, run the guide set-up and it will measure the ZID.

I am back to running 2d stuff for now but need to get this fixed.

Thanks

88Matt, Don't you have to set the z height using a 1" Jo block to the z0.0 level of the top of the table? Each wire guide should have a distance from the inclination point to the tip of the guide to add to the calculations. Your machine maybe similar. It was very much the same for our Japax wire machine.

I used to do taper cuts a couple times a month and I under how frustrating setting the machine up could be. :blink: