Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

swarf not cooperating

alanu23

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/alanu23/SWARFNOTWORKINGFORME.jpg

Help! Ok so I have been making these parts for a couple of years and I swarf cut the insides of the pockets. its works good for me. The way that I have been setting up the tool path is to draw linework on the walls of the pockets as shown above the radius.. and select my floor as the compensation surface to use as the tip control. What ends up happening is when the tool gets passed the radius on the walls it follows the breakout and rounds over the radius transition at the bottom circled in red scrapping the part.. As a result I end up breaking the tool path down into individual swarf tool paths. kindof time consuming because a part like this usually ends up having 10 or more swarf tool paths when it could only have one. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong.. or what I might be able to do differently to fix this? I know it can work.. We have a catia programmer who does it the way I want to.. Is this possible in mastercam? any help would be appreciated.

Alan

I think I see it, op # 5 the last depth cut or 2 right?

I added that 1 little triangular surface (the one that your tool cut but you didn't want it to) to the compensation surfaces, looks like what your after. But your going to have to get in there with something to clean up that little corner of the floor.

Swarf is working just fine, it's just the way you toolpathed it.

HTH

I think that you are understanding me. What I'd like to do is just cut all of the pocket walls in a pocket in one operation that has one continuous move technically following the edge at the bottom of the pocket. The reason being to cut down on air time.. I have seen a catia generated tool path do what I am after.. I just cannot figure it out in mastercam without rounding out the edges where the fillet intersections meet the floor.

If in X5, take a look at sample file \multiaxis\wirfeame\parallel to curve inch.mcx-5.

This toolpath is also rounding corner, but backplot does not show violation of that bottom corner.

Also look at cut parameters\parameters for surface edge handling..has option to maintain outside sharp edge.