Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mori NL-3000y

We are getting one of these machines around the middle of next month. This is my first attempt at programing a mill/turn machine. Although I am already feeling more comfortable the more I practice. Does any one have a machine like this? It has the MAPPS 3 control on it. Im looking for some pointers and I was wondering the pros and cons of this unit. We purchased a 15" chuck, it has 12 tool stations and 1100 psi thru the tool coolant. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We have several NL3000Y--I prefer the 1250 beds over the 700 ones.

We purchased the 3000 series because we machine alot of long chrome rods. I believe it is the longest that Mori makes in that model. Do you have big issues with cross drill clearances between the shroud and turret when indexing.

Thanks for the reply

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t had any issue with it, I use the method of indexing the turret by the hand wheel to check the clearance for tools that are not preset offline.

This is a very useful tool for setup.

1. Turn the manual axis selector to gray X position after TS/2nd SP

2. Press and hold the X100 until the Turret unclamps, and the letter T will flash on the LED under hand wheel

3. Use the hand wheel to rotate the turret, and check clearance.

4. After you are done select MDI to exit, and then JOG and index the turret manually to a station and you are done.

All my preset tools I use the turret drawing in the installation manual to calculate a tool height that will clear on index and create a drawing for the tool pre-setter.

I haven’t had any issue with it, I use the method of indexing the turret by the hand wheel to check the clearance for tools that are not preset offline.

This is a very useful tool for setup.

1. Turn the manual axis selector to gray X position after TS/2nd SP

2. Press and hold the X100 until the Turret unclamps, and the letter T will flash on the LED under hand wheel

3. Use the hand wheel to rotate the turret, and check clearance.

4. After you are done select MDI to exit, and then JOG and index the turret manually to a station and you are done.

All my preset tools I use the turret drawing in the installation manual to calculate a tool height that will clear on index and create a drawing for the tool pre-setter.

That's one of the many awesome features of the Mori NL. I use a simple carpenter square to be sure no tool sticks out more than 6.25" from the turret face, then I do just as mentioned above. The installation manual lists the tool stick out values (max swing) for each turret. 6.25" is actually a slight violation from the swing numbers but if you look at the drawings and do the math that number does clear as long as it's not a big diameter face mill.

The quote I got was over double the cost of a non capto unit.

Mike

Mike, I am much more interested in Capto for the lathe tools. The rotary tools are pretty fast to setup since we only touch off tool length (we have the other values saved for each head)