Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis machining

jeff

I want to "turn" a part using a Haas rotary indexer or similar.

The part is not straight,and has flats on half of it,otherwise I would be using a lathe.

Basically the Y axis will not be moving and I will be travelling left to right on the X axis and up and down on Z.

In my toolpath,I choose multi,rotary 4ax.

In the parameters for that style toolpath there is a box to make either X,Y,or Z the rotary axis.

The indexer will act like the spindle on a lathe.

Do I rotate around the X axis???

When I backplot it shows the tool rotating around the part and doesnt show the tool to be stationart and have the part rotate.

Is this accurate because of the graphics?

Or am I losing my mind?

I beleive a simple pocket selecting axis substitution rotate about X axis will do what you want. A pocket zig zag or one way toolpath will produce X and A moves. In backplot the tool will revolve about the part, in verify the part will rotate about the a axis.

Chack out the rolldie.mc9 in the samples folder. look at the first toolpath (the roughing path).

Dave

[ 05-05-2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: CPeast ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Do I rotate around the X axis???

When I backplot it shows the tool rotating around the part and doesnt show the tool to be stationart and have the part rotate.

Is this accurate because of the graphics?

Or am I losing my mind?

Yes you have completely lost your mind. When you find yours, see if mine is there with it. biggrin.gifwink.gif

j/k

Seriously though, in backplot, there are some settings you can select to simulate your setup. Go to Backplot, Display, turn on Simulate Rotary Axis, Set your Tool Orientation to Top, and Set Multiaxis Toolpath Axis of Rotation to X and that shoudl show you what you would expect to see.

HTH

Remember that the cutter you will be using has clearance in the center of itself. A cutter may be said to be center cutting but is actually not a cut-straight-across-the-bottom tool. What you will end up with is something that is humped along the centerline of the cutter. There are solutions for this and I will share if you are interested.