Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Tool won't display in verify

I drew a custom tool for threadmilling and I can't get the tool to work when using verify. It looks good when I backplot but when I use verify there is no visible tool and no visible cutting taking place. I believe the tool is drawn correctly in the first quadrant with no other geometry on that level. I tried using the custom level and custom file options with no success. I am using MCX5.

Any help is appreciated

I put the file in the X5-files directory on the FTP site. Its called THREADMILL.MCX-5. The custom tool is defined on level 11. One thing I noticed from doing a screen/statistics is that the custom tool is made up of 27 lines. However my level manager is showing 28 entities on level 11. I tried screen unblank then delete to get rid of the 28th entity with no success. I also tried to move the geometry to another level and the mysterious 28th entity reapeared. If anyone wants to take a look at this file I would appreciate it. The code should be good so I'm going to send it to the machine buit would like to know what's going on for future reference.

Give it a shot now. I uploaded as THREADMILL_works.MCX-5

I copied your operation and loaded the geo for my Carmex 3/8-16 thread mill to level 50. I use the thread form data from the Machinery's Handbook to create my thread mills. The specs in there are used for the distance from major diameter to the minor diameter of the thread mill, as well as the the flat length of internal thread root and external thread crest. Basically, use those specs for internal threads and reverse them to draw the thread mill. Then, when it verifies, the opposite will be left in your stock ( the dims used to create the thread mill ). This has allowed me to create "perfect" threads in the virtual verification world. If anybody wants it, I'll try to send the altered .pdf with those specs highlighted. I also have begun an extensive thread mill library of Carmex thread mills. It's been working pretty good, so far.

Anyhow, I used the copied operation and loaded my thread mill. It backplots fine and verfies fine. So, then, I went in to look at yours.

The geo you had would have created a thread mill of .2846 diameter and you had a diameter of .285 set in the tool definition parameters. I translated the geo .0002 to the right to increase the "true" diameter to exactly .2850, then trimmed the bottom and top horizontal lines to the Y-axis. After regenerating the op, it now backplots and verifies correctly. Double check the parameters, though. I may have switched it from bottom-to-top to top-to-bottom. It should work for you.

If anyone needs help on thread mills, let me know. I'm not master of anything, really. But I think I've been able to get the thread milling down. You can fake and do it sloppy just to be quick, but I like to see exactly what it will cut, so I spend a bit of time doing them.

• 8 months later...

A quick and dirty way.

define your tool as an endmill, the same diameter as your thread hob

use circle paths/thread mill

make sure you set "Thread pitch" to .125

count the teeth on your thread hob and set "Number of active teeth " to a couple less

or set it to 1 if you're using a single point tool

I'd make a couple of roughing passes which you can set on the multipass page.

It won't look pretty in verify but it will give you good code

BTW.. please turn off CAPS LOCK... it's concidered screaming on the forum