Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

V9.1 Solids Question

BK

I just installed V9.1 (Mill 1 running on Win 2K Pro / Service Pack 3) and have noticed something new when doing an Xform "something" with a solid. I get a message (after moving or rotating a solid) that says . . .

"Cannot move entities which solids are dependent on".

It doesn't happen all of the time but when it does, it will leave one entity (an arc or a line for example) on-screen. You can then delete this entity and it doesn't give you the "You're an idiot . . . what were you thinking" message. If it does this when translating the solid, it will do this every time and leave one entity on screen.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,

Bob

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hello Bob.

This is just a message that doesn't really mean a whole lot to us users. We get that message also and nothing bad comes from it.

[ 05-09-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Yes I am noticing the same thing - it is really annoying. I’m glad to hear its not just me.

V9.1 seems to behave different when moving a solids geometry and the solid together. That’s when I am getting this error. - You can move the geometry only and then regen the solid and you wont get the message. - Or you can move the solid only and let the system create new geometry at its new location (this can get messy) and you wont get the message this way either.

You should be able to move both together - I hope they fix this.

I haven't noticed this, because I do what Altek said. Whenever you xform a solid (using, mirror translate...etc.) if you select only the solid, it will xform the solid and any geometry necessary(?) to create that solid. If you copy it and not move, it will also give you an exact copy of the solid's history for the new solid. Personnaly, I prefer it this way. Sometimes you can have a solid that is dependant on alot of geometry and operations and choosing all its associated entities can be a pain in the butt.

[ 05-12-2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

So it's not just me. I'll do the Parasolids X_T conversion all the time to cleanup a solid but when this occurs (and it's not all the time), it will leave a copy of one piece of geometry on the screen, usually a line or an arc. Weird thing is after xforming all of the stuff is purple except for the geo it leaves in the "source" position. Some soilds I have moved or copied won't do it, others will . . . go figure.

Bob

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Often, I will save my part as a parasolid and import it back into Mastercam.

You could use the "nohist" C-Hook and eliminate that step i fyou want. (Only available in 9.1 I think).

HTH

Thanks PDG,

This isn't a huge issue . . . just something I noticed the first time the first time I used v9.1. The strange thing (and the reason I posted this)is that it doesn't do it all of the time. I have xformed a few solids with no message and no entities left in the source position.

Thanks for the responses,

BK