Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

part information field - post question?

Philcott

Hi,

I would like to be able to put some information in my programs to define the part being made. Here is a sample of my (edited) header.

%

:0237 (AMS SV TRANSDUCER BODY,TRIANGLE,Z7B923M3)

G0 G18 G20 G40 G99 M46

G50 S3000

What would I us to put the bracketed information in? Is there a field already in Mastercam that I am too blind to see that will allow me to type in these comments?

I was messing around in the post(mplfan) with PROGRAM NAME - ", progname, " but was unsure what Mastercam uses to pick the progname. I thought also about using the comment field on the tool parameter page but thought I should check with the collective first.

Thanks,

Phil

v9sp1

You could also use

code:

# mi4 - File Header Comment. Set in first operation

# 0 = Off (Default)

# 1 = On

... #declare the variable

sfilecomment # File Header Comment

... #call the prompt

fq 4 sfilecomment Enter a header comment for //smcname//

...#test for entry and write to file

if mi4 = 1, #Prompt for header comment

[

q4

sfilecomment = ucase(sfilecomment)

if sfilecomment <> "", "(", *sfilecomment, ")"

]

to have it prompt you for a comment. I use mi4 on the first operation to toggle it on and off.

'Rekd teh giving away trade secrets

[ 05-14-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Phil

I was just about to ask a similar question; I may re-ask after looking into it a bit more.

I can email you a post example that prompts for that sort of info if you want but prompting can be a pain in the xxxx because you have to answer the questions every time you post the file; its much nicer to just have the file "keep" the info forever.

C

Rekd,

I am looking forward to 9.1 but it has still not arrived here yet. I was looking at what you put up for a solution to my question and I appreciate the jesture of letting out your trade secret.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks as well for all the responses

Chris,

I agree prompting can be a pain. I will try Rekd's method and if it is too much trouble I will just turn the Mi# off. If you don't mind, Please send the email.

Thanks,

Phil

[ 05-14-2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: PhilCott ]

As I mentioned in my first post here, I had messed around with the comment field on the tool parameter page and changing my header to read *progno, comment, e. This gave me the information where I wanted it but I didn't know if this was a bad place to get the output from. At least I don't have to answer prompts too many times. Maybe I'll just wait for v9.1.

Phil

quote:

This sounds great. How?

Open a file with operations.

Open Ops manager

Select all ops

Click POST

Check "Output MC9 file descriptor" and click the "Properties" button.

This will open the properties dialog as mentioned above in File/Next Menu/Properties. (Use this latter method to get the properties to 'stick' after you post, if you do it only in the Post Processing dialog, it won't stay there.) You can have MC prompt you for Properties when you save if you want.

'Rekd teh Pull my finger