Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Vise on turret for mill/turn machine?

This may sound a little crazy, but is there such a thing as a vise that mounts on the turret of a mill/turn machine? I have been told there is a vise that mounts on the turret and is accutated by coolant pressure. The vise could be used as a pick off station and allow machining while clamped using the coolant pressure.

I searched the internet, but found nothing. If there is such a thing, who makes it?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have seen something very similar but this was not an off the shelf item. AFAIK, there is not off the shelf vise setup like this.

I have seen "standard" coolant-operated bar pullers before but not something that holds tight enough to machine anything. I am assuming you have a two-turret, single spindle machine? Otherwise this is a somewhat odd request.

C

I have seen "standard" coolant-operated bar pullers before but not something that holds tight enough to machine anything. I am assuming you have a two-turret, single spindle machine? Otherwise this is a somewhat odd request.

C

Hi Chris.

We don't have the machine yet, so I can't even tell you the axis designations. The machine is a Nakamura Super NTMX mill/turn machine and it has a lower lathe turret with live tooling, a tilting milling head, left and right lathe spindles with rotary axis ability. For parts that are difficult or impossible to pick off in the right spindle, we are hoping we could use a vise mounted to the lower lathe turret to pick off the part and maybe do some additional milling if needed. We were told such a vise is available, but we don't know who makes it. We will meet with the Nakamura apps people next week. Hopefully they can tell us if it actually exists.

Thanks for you help.

Bob

I have seen something very similar but this was not an off the shelf item. AFAIK, there is not off the shelf vise setup like this.

Do you think it was a one of a kind, custom built vise?

Thanks for your time.

Bob

Would a 5-jaw or 6-jaw chuck on the right spindle work with some purpose-built jaws (2 jaws directly opposite each other, like a vise)? That would seem to be a less tricky solution if you could make it work.

C

We have a few 2 jaw chucks that we use for pick off of prismatic shaped parts in the sub-spindle.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
... We were told such a vise is available, but we don't know who makes it. We will meet with the Nakamura apps people next week. Hopefully they can tell us if it actually exists.

You'll be in good hands.